What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

Well, it's not as bad as some places, but it's cold and rainy and gray and unpleasant. Actually, it was sunny this morning and almost felt kind of springy, so it was a cruel disappointment to walk out of school around noon into the rain. Waaagh!

I'm feeling guilty for not writing in over a week, so I thought I'd better come up with something. I'm really taking a break from an arranging project. I'm arranging Holy, Holy for clarinet, harp, piano, and choir for my school's spring program. Craig, help!! Right now it's all on the computer and I'm just hoping and praying it will actually sound good altogether. I'm not accustomed to arranging for this kind of group hodge podge, but I suppose it's good practice. Not that I want it to sound like a practice project, but you get the idea!

Today after teaching I went to the Olive Garden with my friend Rachel to plan our church's Sweetheart Banquet. This will be the fourth banquet she and I (and sometimes her bro Nathan) have put together for the married couples in our church. It's always been a hit for the couples and a fun experience for us too. All the "children" over 15 help with decorating, meal prep, serving, music, etc. Rachel is the Food Coordinator/Director/Chef and I'm the Decorating Decorator/General Overseer or something like that. We've always done a romantic theme with red and pink hearts and candles and all that jazz, but this year I had the idea of doing an Italian restaurant theme. So THAT'S why we had to go to the Olive Garden for this meeting so we'd get some inspiration! (We joked about going to the Spaghetti Factory next week and Cucina! Cucina! the next! All for the sake of research of course!) We decided to go with grapevines for part of the decor (if we can get some). I think we should have some corny Italian music like "That's Amore," but I don't know if that would go over well or not. ;-) Or I could sing "O Sole Mio." As you can see, the ideas have been gushing forth like the Trivoli fountains.

This Saturday is my student recital. I think I have 14 participants this time. So my big focus this week is getting them all ready! I usually get almost as nervous as they do. There's so much to think about with harps and table decor and punch and students and programs and accompanying...I'm swamped!

Okay, that's all for tonight, folks. Gotta go finish some laundry now.

7 Comments:

Blogger kimber said...

How odd -- you're on the opposite side of the continent from me, but today's weather was the same here. Started off with a gorgeous sunny sky, and by noon, the clouds had opened and a dismal downpour soaked everything. Blah!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Actually, not so odd, because I'm in Washington State, not Washington, D.C. So we share our weather with our BC neighbors.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Your sweetheart banquet sounds like so much fun. Wish we could go! Hope it's as smashing a success as it has been in the past.

So sorry about the weather. You have my sympathy. I don't miss the grayness! I'll take snowstorms and slippery roads any day over Washington's gloominess, because at least we get a lot of sun!

5:09 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

That sounds like alot of work to me...

4:30 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Hooray that you're arranging! Good for you! I'm sure it will be beautiful...

You should sing O mio babbino caro at your Italian dinner--one of my favorite Italian songs of all time, along with Nessun dorma, both from my Puccini and Pasta CD. Hey, you should call your dinner that!

How nice you're doing a sweethearts dinner. After all, "People would weep!" (does ANYONE out there get this reference??? Used to be a big joke I had with Andrew, and now I'm wondering if it spread anywhere else. I should explain it on my blog someday...)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Puccini and Pasta...sounds good! But somehow, I don't the opera arias would go over well with this group, especially if I gave them the translations to those particular ones!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, do tell! (he he)

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home