What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Swing Girl



Next week I'm going to a retreat in Michigan, where everyone's supposed to wear 1940s attire for one of the dinners. I hunted high and low for the right thing to wear, but settled for a dress and cardigan I already had which look kind of 40s/50s. So then I rented the hat (the costume store lady called it a Casablanca hat, which isn't really true, but it's similar to Ingrid Bergman's), bought the gloves and shoes (2 1/4 " - my highest heels ever, I think!), put on some pearls and bright red lipstick and called it good! So what do you think -- could I step back in time, or do I still look like I'm in the 21st century? Oh, just so you know, my hair was just pulled back in a pony tail for this picture, but I'm going to try to find a cool 40s chignon style or something. I'm so not creative with hairstyles.

Trivia: After watching Casablanca again, I looked up some info about Ingrid Bergman. Imagine my surprise when I learned that this Swedish beauty was exactly my height -- 5'10"! But Humphrey Bogart was only 5'8 1/2" so he had to wear platform shoes and they must have used some other creative means to make him always look taller than her. She said she enjoyed working with Gary Cooper (different movie) because she could wear shoes! He was 6'3." O the challenges tall actresses must go through! Nicole Kidman and Minnie Driver are also 5'10" I believe.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look very 40s... But to really pull it off you need to look more solemn, like there is a war going on and your beau is off fighting somewhere and you need a seam running up your legs. (Oh, and the braces look pretty modern... so no smiling) :-)

11:51 PM  
Blogger ljm said...

Where in Michigan?

4:55 AM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Yes, I think that will do!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Ah, but this is late 40s, Jeremy! So it's okay to look happy. And if I did have seamed stockings, you wouldn't be able to see in this picture!

Liane, it's near Watersmeet, MI, way up north near Wisconsin.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

Actually, during WWII, stockings were hard to come by so the women would paint a line on the back of their leg to simulate the look! I think you look very authentic! The 1940s are one of my most favorite periods in history. (maybe because of all the Betty Grable movies I've seen?) Have fun, Kristi!
p.s. Tall people rock! (my version of Lindsay's bumper sticker)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

You look adorable! and definitely like you're from the 40s.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope nobody too me too seriously! (You look just fine Kristi... The genuine late-40s article!)

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*took

2:53 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

You look great!! They sure knew how to dress back then, didn't they? Your ensemble is convincing. Interesting idea to paint a line on the back of your stockings! Any 40's era earrings yet? What's the retreat?

11:02 PM  
Blogger SK: ) said...

You have the general effect, but some detailing would make a more believable character.

The Art Critic says: Use a darker red for your lips and go for super-clean photogenic lines. Create more of a "cupid's bow," if you can. Use a darker eyeshadow too. Focus on the outside corners of your eyes to make your eyes really stand out.

Lift your chin a bit and keep your shoulders (and hence your hands) slightly behind your hips. Posture is key to pulling off a 1940s character.

The stocking seam was the first detail I missed. And I agree with Jeremy that a bright grin is definitely wrong, but a warm inviting smile would not be out of character.

(ROTFL as I type this! Overanalysis is my favorite hobby.)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Thanks for the advice, SK. ;-) I'll try to work on the makeup, posture, and perfect smile (whew!)

Lori, I'm not sure what earrings would have been "in" back in the 40s, but I'll just have to go with the drop pearls that I have. I'm sure I won't get kicked out if every detail isn't correct! Oh, and this is an Institute retreat for young 'uns 23 and older at Northwoods.

Regarding seamed stockings, I don't know where I'd even find them around here. I don't want to draw a line that might possibly not come off for awhile. I probably couldn't draw a straight line anyway. AND my mom things a seam might draw unnecessary male attention to my legs. Whatever. I'm just going to wear normal nylons and be a little incorrect! So there!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right about the line... And besides, by the late 40s weren't Nylon's catching on? (I know they were sure used for barter on "Hogan's Heroes" a lot!) :-D

12:12 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

My mom remembers wearing the seams into the 60s. That must have been when they were going out. Some actually considered the "non-seam" nylons slightly scandalous!

12:26 PM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

Let's hear it for 5'10" girls! I have an 8th graders who's almost as tall as I am and very reluctant to be so tall. I keep trying to tell her tall is beautiful! Thanks for the name-dropping possibilites you've given me:)

3:21 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Okay, I can hardly believe the INSTITUTE is sponsoring a 1940's dinner. I mean, that just seems so incongruous!

And by the way, Tom Cruise was like 5'7". No wonder he and Nicole broke up.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Short people rock! Ha! :-)

so how tall are you in those heels? Or does one just add the heel height to the person height?

7:13 PM  
Blogger lis said...

Simply smashing!

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home