What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Weekend Adventures

On Saturday evening I played the harp for a local symphony gala event. This is where people come all gussied up in their finest and eat and drink and bid and spend money and all that jazz. Quite an elegant affair. I sat near the entrance in my flowing black formal and played away. Right near me the photographers would have couples pose for pictures. At one point a photographer didn't have anything to do, so he started snapping away at me. It's so disconcerting to try to play naturally while someone has a camera in your face, so to speak! Click, click, click. He discovered that shooting me through the strings would be a cool angle, so he snapped away there. Everyone thinks they're SO original and artsy when they do that! I suddenly had to fight the urge to laugh or make a silly face or something. But anyway, as I wrapped up an hour and a half of playing, there was hardly anyone around because they'd all moved off to another room for dinner. I decided to finish with "As Time Goes By." This man who had just complimented me suddenly stopped, came back, and listened intently as I played. When I was done, he came up and thanked me for playing his favorite song so beautifully, handing me a $10 bill! I've never been tipped before, so it was quite a pleasant surprise! Maybe I should put out a hat or something when I play. :-)

Yesterday was my symphony concert. The dress rehearsal was in the afternoon, and this was only my second and final chance to play the bells right in the 1812 Overture. The harp part in the other pieces was no sweat, but tackling a new, very loud instrument was jacking my blood pressure up! I had gotten a recording and listened to it a number of times, so I was pretty sure of my entrances and exits. One of the percussion players gave me a brief lesson on Wednesday, pointing out which bells to hit (Eb arpeggio, basically), where to hit them, and then to "hit the
h--- out of them." Ah. That's nothing I ever heard in harp lessons! If you've never seen them, these bells look like huge wind chimes, arranged like a keyboard in sets of 2's and 3's, and standing about 6 feet tall. You press down a pedal for a sustained sound, then strike the bell at the top with a mallet.

I also got appointed to play a little triangle part -- fun! Basically I just had to pretend I was ringing the dinner bell. So during the rehearsal I stood there for a good nervous ten minutes, counting away. The music crescendoed, the other percussionists were banging and crashing away, and finally it's my turn! I took those mallets and banged those bells as if my life depended on it. I couldn't watch the music, which is why I had to listen to recordings to know when to stop. And guess what? I nailed it! Woohoo! You'd never know it was my first time! Other orchestra members said nice things about me being the best bell ringer ever, which was silly of course, but made up for the headache I had developed. There was a terrific amount of noise back there, especially with the cymbals right next to me, so I feared for my hearing. For the evening concert, I was sure to put an ear plug in one ear, which helped, though the other ear was ringing from the clanging bells! The concert went well, too, and one percussionist said something like I should put this on my resume so orchestras will know I can play! Ha ha! I've always admired the percussionists, but never actually pictured myself one of them. Not sure it will happen again, but it was fun while it lasted!

10 Comments:

Blogger drewey fern said...

Wow! Kristi the percussionist! I'm very impressed:)

1:04 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Percussionists are so fun to watch! That's so neat that you got to be one for a while. When we were in Concord the other day we walked by a small wedding taking place under a huge spreading chestnut (?) tree. There was a woman playing a harp there. It made me think of you, of course, and made me miss you!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

$10!! Wow... I think you should go with a big black top-hat... :-)

2:41 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

hurray for tips :-)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

That is so neat that you got to play the bells and the triangle...Sounds like a lot of fun.

Maybe you should take your harp to the streets of Seattle and play on the sidewalk with a hat out...:)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

STORY about 999:
flame pants.

I don't know how it started. It was while he was in bibleschool though. Got some red/black/orange real thin pajama type pants, that had flames in red/black/orange. So then he took them to Israel. and wore them in public I guess? well, anyway, he wore them in public and got quite the reaction. Several occasions, got the reputation for them. So, when he went to Jeff and Fritha's wedding, he wore them UNDER his regular pants. Well, some "dastardly scoundrel" let slip to the bride that he had them on. And so she got up and asked him to show them off. And so he got up and took off his pants, at a wedding! I was dying of laughter. I'm sure he could fill in more details...

1:26 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Wow, that's quite the story. Who would ever guess that such wildness lay under Wesley's placid exterior (two ways to read that)? Ha ha!

7:38 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Krishna...how lucky you are! The perc players at my school are a special breed. They have way more fun than anyone, and they're generally cooler than anyone.

Not sure where the flamepants comment came from BUT, Wes bought his famous pants at the Ein Gev kibbutz gift store by the Sea of Galilee. They were on a great sale with various kinds (I was considering a pair...in a very remote sort of way), and a couple people said they'd give him money if he bought them and wore them around Jerusalem for a day. Accepting the deal paid for half of them or something so he couldn't turn it down. :-) The rest is history.

Uncle Tim coined the most apt and funniest moniker for him in Israel: Harry Hotlegs.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Asaphat, the comments stemmed from comments on DJ's blog.

Harry Hotlegs -- ha ha!!

9:28 AM  
Blogger TripleNine said...

Kristi,

As mentioned in the previous comments it all started with the bet that I wouldn't wear them in public walking around Jerusalem. Then I wore them under my regular pants at Bibleschool graduation,aking them a bit of class history. Then I did the same thing at Andrew's funeral, and was actually asked by the bride if I would be wearing them at her wedding as well. I told her yes, just planning on keeping them hidden (at the most,one pant leg rolled partway up just to let her know they were there) I guess she had other ideas :)

Congrats on the percussion playing, sounds like a lot of fun.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home