What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

It Came to Pass...

"There's no turning back now," I murmured to Dennis as I waited in pre-op, having just had numerous things stuck in and on me. A final ultrasound revealed what I already knew -- that the baby hadn't moved from his oblique breach position.

It was Tuesday morning, April 14. We had prayed that if it wasn't the Lord's will to have a c-section, the baby would move, but he didn't, so we were where we were supposed to be. This was going to be the most major surgery I'd ever had. But I clung to Isaiah 41:10: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee, be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee, yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

Nothing like an operating table to make you feel like a cold slab of meat. Even with the heated blankets, I would often shiver. The doctors actually started the operation a little before Dennis came in. I think the nurse forgot him! Dennis was wonderful. He sat by my head and kept talking to me and kissing me and encouraging me. I couldn't feel any pain, but just a lot of pressure and prodding and pushing on my tummy. Somebody said, "I see a foot!" Unreal. Then a little bit later I heard a newborn cry. Dennis said, "We have a baby," and I started crying! At last, after 9 months, our baby was here and I was a real mommy!

Then Dennis got a little, er, hot, and had to go lie down in another room. :-) They worked on me some more, getting me stitched up. A nurse brought Connor next to my head so I could see him. They had him wrapped so tightly that his lips protruded, but nonetheless, he was beautiful and perfect. Next step for me was the recovery room, where I started feeling the pain. But I won't go into the pain part. Let's just say that I was on some strong drugs for several days and could still feel something!

That's the gist of my birth story! We spent a couple of days in the hospital. My mom flew in that night, so I was very blessed to have both her and Dennis to help me and the baby, especially since I couldn't move very much. My dad came in on Saturday.

Now on to Connor! He is a very beautiful baby, which I'm told is common with c-section babies because they don't get squished in the birth canal. And I don't just say he's beautiful because he's my baby; others have said the same! :-) So far he shows more resemblance to Dennis than to me. But as he grows older, probably other similarities will show up. I chose the name Connor basically because I liked it. When I taught music at a Christian school, there was a cute little boy with that name, and I suppose that's where I became familiar with it. It's an Irish name, and means "wise one." Dennis and I chose Isaiah 11:2,5 for him: "And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord...And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins." His middle name, William, is after my dad, and means "bold protector." Who knows what the days ahead of us hold or what Connor's life will hold, but our prayer is that he will be a mighty man of wisdom and courage whom God will use for His glory.

Since coming home, we have been trying to get him on schedule, but he still thinks that daytime is for sleeping and nighttime is for keeping mommy and daddy awake! So mommy and daddy are running low on their sleepometer, but are hopeful that his schedule will stabilize soon. Pray for us! He is nursing well and growing bigger every day, so we're thankful for that. And he's cute as a button!

In other news, today is our first anniversary! Hard to believe that it's been a whole year since I walked down that aisle and said "I do." A lot has happened in a year and the road hasn't all been easy, yet one thing is certain: we love each other a little more every day and are continually grateful that God brought us together!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! he is beautiful..

Lilly and Connie H.

1:15 PM  
Blogger atypicalmom said...

Congratulations from the whole Hathaway family in Rhode Island, :)

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home