What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Of Bad Rehearsals

I've been meaning to post about my rehearsal experience on Wednesday night. Or make that non-rehearsal experience. I'm playing in just a few movements of Faure's Requiem and that's all I do for this program slated for Feb. 12. So I went to one rehearsal a couple weeks ago and they said I probably wouldn't be needed again until the rehearsals the week of the concert. But I understood that the personnel manager would let me know for sure. When I didn't hear anything, I emailed her a couple days before this rehearsal. No response. So I called and left a message the day of the rehearsal. No response. So after a day of indecision, I decided to just go anyway and be on the safe side.

I found out that they weren't rehearsing the Faure until 9:00 PM, so I left home around 7:30 to make the nearly one hour trek south. I arrived, unloaded, wheeled my harp, stool, and bags up a ramp, through doors, down another ramp and eventually to the rehearsal room. The personnel manager happened to be standing there and gave me a surprised look. Uh-oh. She said, "You didn't get my message?" "Uh, no. What message?" She then said she'd left a message on my answering machine around 4:30, informing me I wasn't needed at this rehearsal. I was home at that time, so I couldn't understand how I could have missed a phone call. I later realized that my mom and I had stepped out of the house for about five minutes during that time, and thus never thought to check the machine.

She thought that perhaps the conductor might use me anyway, so she went and consulted him. He looked at me and told me to go home, or words to that effect. I didn't understand him at first, so stood there next to my harp with a puzzled look on my face, no doubt looking like an idiot in front of the entire orchestra. But the manager confirmed his words and so out I wheeled. She said she felt bad, but that she had left a message. Why did she wait until 4:30? I didn't feel angry, but I definitely wasn't happy and wheeled out without another word. Back I went up the ramp, through the double doors, and down the outside ramp. I loaded back up, and drove back the hour home. Alone. In the dark. In the drizzle. And feeling pretty sorry for myself and annoyed with the conductor. While I was at it, I dredged up some other past grievances over completely unrelated issues and wept silly tears of self-pity, while telling myself to GET A GRIP!! God allowed it, right? Yup.

After some sensible philosophizing, a good night sleep, a mile on the treadmill, and a day of teaching, I think I recovered. But I'm not particularly looking forward to next week's rehearsal. It was a rather humiliating experience, and it's not like I can just slip unobserved into the corner with my mammoth instrument. Oh, well, it probably won't happen again. And there's my gripey story of the week!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. (At least you didn't spend six months of late nights and long hours building a new, far-superior, database only to be told they were going to switch back to the broken down system they had been using... Because one user was more "comfortable" with it!)

:-J

12:58 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

so sorry. that really stinks. isn't it awful how one bad experience sends you into a mire of reliving many of your past bad experiences? I noticed when you said that especially because I do that...suddenly I find myself rehashing all the terrible things that happened in the last year (or longer) just because I'm miserable over one stupid little thing.

Gotta kick that habit! And fortunately it doesn't happen too often. But I know that feeling and I sympathize.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Oh, I'm glad it's not just me! Probably our melancholy musician side coming out.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Just commenting to say that I saw your comment on the Doomtown post, then it disappeared. Glad you liked the Tuck[er] reference :) But as I said, something is going screwey on my blog, so it ate your comment. I didn't delete it :) Good Sabbath.

Oh, yeah, this post. That's a bummer. Nothing like expending lots of effort to look like a fool :-) sigh. Isn't life grand...

8:35 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Kritty, I'm so sorry about that horrible experience! There's nothing that seems so wasteful as driving a long distance--and with your harp it's an even bigger deal--only to find you got the wrong date. Hope it's not too embarrassing when you go back!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

I don't blame you one bit for crying in your car. I would have had a thunder cloud over my head, too! And you probably felt emotionally detoxified to cry out some other stuff, too, right! Sorry you had to go through that incredible annoyance!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

I just noticed that it's not "Jeremy said..." but "Rachel's Jeremy said..." Ha ha!!!

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home