What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bumper Stickers and Fishes

Up to yesterday, my van was devoid of any outward signs or indications of the driver's beliefs and opinions. For some reason I've always had this reluctance to put anything on my car like a fish or a political or religious bumper sticker. I did have a Bush/Cheney sticker a few years ago because I felt strongly enough about the election to risk the possible abuse I might garner here in liberal Western Washington (the Left Coast, as I heard recently). And ten years ago, when Jill and I worked on a gubernatorial campaign, we had a huge cartop sign on our car (actually all our cars), and it made me feel extremely conspicuous, like I was actually driving around the would-be governor (she lost, alas).

I guess my reasoning is that my driving is going to reflect on whoever or whatever I'm "advertising" on my bumper. I mean, if I do something stupid in traffic or make somebody mad by driving too fast or too slow, they could look at a little fish and say, "Fine Christian she is!" I know it irritates me when I see someone with a fish or religious bumper sticker driving like a jerk. Some might say it should motivate you to drive right. My van does get more attention when I'm unloading or loading my harp, so that's been another deterrant, because I meet all kinds of people!

Well, I just put on a bumper sticker after several weeks procrastination (and a car wash). It says God bless JerUSAlem, and includes Israeli and American flags. Now this isn't too scary or controversial, but it has crossed my mind that some Muslim or anti-Israel person might get ticked at me and do something dastardly, or one more person is going to ask if I'm Jewish (my name and all)!

So my question is, are these kind of feelings regarding significant car decorations just cowardly, or is there some merit? How do you view the effect or consequences of posting your views for the world to see?

8 Comments:

Blogger Loreo said...

I'm actually just like you--other cars don't need to know how I feel. What if I'm yelling at the kids or cut somebody off and I have a Christian bumper sticker?! I am just not interested nor do I feel the need to advertise a single thing about myself on my car to strangers. I just consider myself private and reserved that way. However, anytime I see a Christian bumper sticker of any kind on any other car, I am blessed. And not even looking for them to flub up.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always have felt that bumper stickers (or fish signs) were best used sparingly... If one, why not two? If two, why not three? etc. (Pretty soon there isn't much paint left visible.)

And yes, seeing a car wiz past me... and seeing a "fish" on the car makes me want to sit them down chat... Nicely of course...

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

+and

10:09 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

I agree about not wanting Christian or political symbols on my car.

Not sure why yet though. It's not because I'm a coward, I know that. Maybe because I don't want to trivialize it? And while I agree with Loreo about getting blessing from seeing it on others, I just don't know. Maybe I'd put a fish symbol on if I knew it would bless others?

Tough question...

4:03 PM  
Blogger Brenda Jo said...

My license plate, "SOLUVD" is meant to tell/remind people (and myself) that God's love for them is big. After I realized that I had to drive like a Christian to match the words, I began to enjoy purposefully making my driving a testimony, too. Isn't it funny how getting inside that metal box makes you feel like you aren't accountable for your actions!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I have had fish symbols and similar bumper stickers in the past, including a "W" one, which I think is still on Jill's van. I typically like Christian ones, not so much political ones.

My only bumper sticker right now says "I love my wife." I never knew how many people wouldn't like that one, but I've gotten a lot of comments both ways. (And it did help get me out of a speeding ticket, which I undoubtedly deserved, whether I love my wife or not!)

On my business card I have a fish symbol, and am very glad that I do. Most people say nothing about it, but if my customers are believers, this is a way of establishing solidarity and bringing mutual encouragement.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Evan used to have a sticker that said "Real men love Jesus," and whenever I see it I like it and think of Evan!

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home