What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Time Management Issues

A few weeks ago, I felt guilty about the amount of time I spent on the computer. Not that I was doing anything bad on the computer, but I've sometimes found myself practically hypnotized by the monitor, unable to get up, my finger holding onto the mouse like it's going to run away. It's hard because I'm home a lot, and the internet is always available to me. I'll zip into the office to check my email, and then I'll click on another site, and then another...

So I set a strict rule for myself: 20 minutes a day. That shouldn't be hard, right? I mean, that's a goodly chunk of time! Keep in mind that's for all computer time, including email. I was shocked at how quickly 10 minutes would speed by! I'd try to limit myself to 5 minute chunks and it was so hard! So yeah, I decided to scrap that idea, though it helped me see how much time can be frittered away at the computer.

I'm not even sure I could limit myself to 30 minutes. I mean, I have email, plus 2 blogs, plus Facebook, plus other oft-visited blogs and sites! I'm sure the days will come when I don't have as much time to spend on here, so maybe I should just enjoy it while I can. On the other hand, should I be more regimented? Does anybody care?? Didn't think so. Just rambling.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'll sit down at night "just to check my blog for comments." There's a comment. I read the commenter's blog. They have a link in their sidebar. I click the link. It leads to the news. The news has a cartoon. I go to the cartoonists website. Another cartoon makes me think about some post someone else did a while ago, so I look it up in their archives. And on and on it goes until I've spent FAR more time than I ever intended.

By the way, my e-mail program also reads blog feeds, and when you posted this, for some reason I thought it was an e-mail. As I read it, I was thinking, "That's great, but why is she sending this to ME?" :)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

I second Aaron's first sentence :-)

I have begun to count on 40 min everytime I log on. Cause I too check my blog and xanga, several email accounts, facebook and then some anime and other links.

It just takes time. Of course, during the week I don't do a whole lot on Facebook in regards to others. But come Sabbath, like this evening, oh man, I spent almost an hour just commenting on everyone's Wall :-)

having a lot of free time certainly doesn't help...

7:46 PM  
Blogger lis said...

If you come up with an answer, let me know! :O)

3:06 AM  
Blogger brandywine said...

The best answer I have been able to get for this very real problem is to accumulate an excessive amount of work responsibilities and a large number of children. :)At that point, the problem pretty much takes care of itself.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Hm, I guess I can't try that solution for awhile! :-)

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home