What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Inconvenient Convenience

My goodness, I haven't posted in ages! The past week or two has been super busy. This past Friday and Saturday I drove with some friends over to Spokane and then Coeur d'Alene, ID to play at a Christian homeschooler's mother/daughter tea. I got home around 2:15 on Sunday morning! That was an adventure.

My title has to do with all the express technology we have these days. It's starting to really annoy me. They either make you do it yourself, like self-checkouts in stores and libraries, or you can't do it yourself, like bathroom faucets and toilets! Everything's so automated, that pretty soon half the world will be unemployed! Fortunately, my library branch is still tiny enough where the librarians can check out customers. Everything's getting very impersonal. Bathroom faucets either don't come on, or they stay on, or they always have warm water, which is rather unpleasant for brushing your teeth (a frequent event for me). Toilets never flush at the right time, which is all I have to say about that!

Is anybody else annoyed or troubled by this technology take-over? Is it good or bad?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

The faucets that stay on long after you've washed your hands annoy the heck out of me. Such a waste of water! (I guess the drought we experienced in CA has never quite left my consciousness.) Self-checkouts at libraries have got to be a new low, though I do like the ones at grocery stores. They always make me feel empowered or something. :-)

5:05 PM  
Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

When we are in a public bathroom, (which is way too often for my taste!) my youngest daughter ,Wynne, always asks me if the potty is going to flush...she means with her on it! (kids always think the toilet is going to eat them!)
You are right, we are way too automated! (although I agree with Jill about the self-checkouts. I love them at Wal*Mart...)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

Sometimes I find myself yelling at public toilets. Okay- so maybe I don't really yell but my voice is somewhat raised in irritation...

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home