What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

We Remember



On Friday afternoon, Lori and the kids were over. I was cooking dinner and Jessica was hanging around chatting. She'd gathered some small flags that were on the counter, and after gazing thoughtfully at them for a moment, she asked, "What's Memorial Day about?" I had to collect my thoughts for a moment, because frankly, I hadn't given much thought lately to the holiday weekend or the reason for it. But I was glad I was able to tell her that this is the day we remember veterans and those who gave their lives in service to our country. I seized the "teaching moment" to tell her a little bit about World War II.

This evening we watched the national Memorial Day Concert on PBS. Such a moving tribute with music and speaking and video footage. I was in tears several times because of the heartbreaking stories of families who had lost loved ones, or welcomed back those who had been forever maimed. I was ashamed of myself for being so caught up in my own little world and problems, that I often forget the war that's actively being fought and those being killed or injured every day. It seems so unreal sometimes. I usually pray for our troops, but I think it's important that we also pray for the families.

I wish this horrible war would end. But most of all, I want this war to end in such a way that no soldier died in vain, an echo of Vietnam. Our greatest battle must be fought through prayer, for our wrestling isn't merely against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers and the rulers of the darkness of this world. Praise God that He holds all the kingdoms and rulers in the palm of His hand!

There are two people I hope you'll remember in prayer with me this Memorial Day: one is a young woman named Hannah. She is the sister-in-law of my good friend, Chris. Her husband, a soldier from Fort Lewis, was killed in Iraq last August. They had only been married about a year and a half, and they had a baby boy shortly before he left. The other is a father of 8 who is serving as a Navy chaplain in Iraq. His name is Tim and he is often exposed to danger and is on the job every day trying to minister to the spiritually needy around him. We pray for his safety till he comes home the end of the year. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Aye, an echo of Vietnam is about the worst thing that could happen :-(

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home