What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

One Down, One to Go!








The only reason I'd post this highly unflattering picture, taken last March, is to show the wonders that a year of braces have done (sorry if the new pictures don't show detail as well). Yup, it was a year ago today that I went with great trepidation to the orthodontist office to get those brackets and bands put on. I was sure that I would die of pain and that two years would last FOREVER! Well, I didn't die of pain, and as some predicted, the time has gone by quickly. One more year to go! The doctor says everything is looking great. My bottom teeth are now behind my top teeth where they're supposed to be, and both top and bottom are way straighter than they were. I had two teeth extracted before I got the braces, and those holes have almost disappeared, closed in by other teeth. Who knows, maybe I can get them off early!

A side benefit that you might be able to see in these pictures is that I lost weight! Within a few months, I'd lost 8 pounds. I think I've gained back a few, but I'm not too worried.

I was reflecting this morning on how much we try to attach a timetable to life's events, and then fret when they don't happen at a certain time. For instance, once my teens had past and I'd invested money in my harp, I assumed my chance at braces was gone. We don't have insurance, and besides, who wants braces in their 20s? But at 26, I did get braces, and I've been able to pay for it, even from my meager income. I assumed I'd be married by 24 because my mom and sisters were by then, but that doesn't mean I never will! I've been able to do so many things I wouldn't have been able to do if I'd gotten married then. I didn't pursue a traditional college education at 18 like many do, but was able to get a conservatory diploma and other valuable training and experience. And now, almost 10 years later, I'm on my way to getting a bachelor's degree. Life's funny sometimes, and definitely an adventure! Trust in the Lord, because He can be trusted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Hold up, you're getting a Bachelors? In what? I must have missed that post. Either that or I spaced that data somehow...

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

In music, but I wouldn't expect you to know because I haven't really mentioned it. I've accumulated a number of credits here and there, but haven't actually enrolled anywhere yet. But that may happen this summer, so you might hear more then. :-)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:38 PM  
Blogger lis said...

Timetables, uh-huh. :O)

I'm so glad that God doesn't tell us ahead of time what our timetables going to look like, because there's no way that we'd believe how good and rich "delay" can be! :O)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home