What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Monday, April 16, 2007

A lifetime of technology

When I stop to think how much technology has developed just in my short lifetime, my mind is veritably boggled! I was reflecting today that 20 years ago, the primary methods of communication were snail mail or telephone. Or just good old-fashioned face-to-face. That's it.

I remember when I was little we had a boxy, Dinosaur age computer. I can remember playing pacman on it and some other simple game. In the early 90s, we had a slightly more advanced computer, on which we used the word processor (or equivalent) program. Our printer used the paper with perforated edges you had to tear off. I did some "artwork" on the paint program, did a speed typing program (to which I must credit my typing speed today!), played a geography game, and spent hours playing Gold Rush. Such were the simple days.

I probably became first aware of the term email around 1996. I believe my dad downloaded Juno in '97 or '98. We were all so fascinated and excited by this fast new form of communication. Of course not everyone had it back then. I remember corresponding for some time with Craig via email; his emails back then were about the length of his blog posts now. ;-) I loved it, though. Any mail was gold! Of course, at that time, snail mail was still the fairly normal form of correspondence. I think I still have a box of special letters from various friends and relatives written in my youth. I kind of miss it.

My dad got a cell phone sometime in the 90s, primarily for work. And back then, not everyone had one like they do now. My parents got me one for my 21st birthday in 2000. Only for necessities, of course. Heh heh. That's how it always starts. Part of it was that I was driving all over doing harp gigs and it was an important safety and communication tool, which I still firmly believe. I used that Verizon phone which resembled a brick for about 5 years before I graduated to a sleeker, smaller, Sprint version. (Verizon is way better, btw.)

Well, I could go on. We eventually tapped in to the wonders of the Web. We got a FAX machine. Even my mom got a cell phone. We use email regularly. Two years ago I got hooked on blogs. Last year I figured out text messaging. I'm on Facebook. About the only thing I don't do is instant messaging. Yeah, yeah, I'm still in the Dark Ages, I know. I'm sure some enlightened computer guru will try to bring me up to date on that one now!

The question is, have our lives really improved? I could wax philosophical here, but I'm not thinking extremely clearly right now because I'm very tired and I have a little cold. I'm basically doing nothing today (except use new-fangled technology or old-fashioned reading) because that's all I feel like doing. :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Good question. I would have to say that technology has certainly made communications easier. To say whether it has made it better, or worse, really depends on the people involved.

I think it has made things better, at least for the Christian community. Just take this little communique. 20 years ago, if you and I were the age we are now, there is no way we'd be shooting the breeze about technology. We probably would barely be aware of eachother's existence :-)

The rate of "getting to know people" is much faster. Distance does not mean as much as it used too[it is still a barrier, cause, hey, a living, breathing person is much better to get to know than just their thoughts]. So it depends on the people, once again. If they are shallow or their interest in others is shallow, they will have shallow relationships. If they are truly mature individuals, they will be able to get to know others in a way that was formerly impossible. I certainly wouldn't be writing letters to all my female friends once a week, yet with my blog, I can write to them[and everybody else mind you :-)] every couple of days and vice-versa.

IM'ing has its place. Personally, I think that its "day of greatness" is over and it has assumed its proper niche. It is a great way to have light conversations with someone or to communicate quickly about matters of small import. If I'm on some saturday and Wesley is too, I feel no compunction about asking him what his plans are and if he wants to come over, etc, etc. While I might not feel so free about calling him on his cell. He's on IM, he's available :-)

and thus ends the 42 Epistle of DJ. :-)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

ok, that was a LITTLE longer than I thought. Sorry :-)

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're praying you feel better soon!

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home