What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, April 20, 2007

The Lord my Rock

When my parents and I went to Maui a couple years ago, we visited a number of beaches, which is of course what you're supposed to do in Hawaii. The beaches on that island aren't the greatest, at least compared to Oahu (so I'm told). And being February, it wasn't always very warm. But anyway, at one beach, the waves were rolling gently in, or appeared to be. I love walking along the beach with the water lapping at my ankles, so that's what I did. I think I walked in a little deeper, when, within 2 seconds, I was swept off my feet and completely doused in salt water! The undertow was stronger than anything I've ever felt and I decided to steer clear of the water on that beach.

On our last day there, we visited the beach in Kihei, where our condo was. I was feeling blue or pensive about something or other, and found a good size rock on the beach to sit on and just soak in the beauty of the surroundings. Either the rock was a little out there, or the tide was coming in, but I remember idly noticing the waves lapping around the rock. Higher and higher it came, and before I knew it, land was too far away! I finally jumped in the water, but it kept pulling me out...! Okay, that's not what happened. :-)

As I sat there watching those little waves from the vantage point of my secure rock, an inspiring thought flashed into my mind like a light bulb. Jesus is our Rock. When we are anchored on Him, as I was on that Hawaiian rock, the waves of doubt, sin, discouragement, disappointment, and sorrow may lap at our feet, but they can't move us. Not unless I cast myself off that rock into the surf would I be destroyed. But as long as I stayed on that rock and trusted that rock, and kept my eyes on the calm horizon, those little waves could not disturb me. On that first beach, no undertow could have pulled me under if I had been standing on a solid rock.

I wish I didn't get so disturbed by the waves which appear to overwhelm me sometimes! But I'm encouraged when I remember that rock far away and the Rock that stands firm through all of life's blasts.

3 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

AMEN!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Yes, Amen.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

third the Amens :-)

It really IS encouraging, isn't it, to know that there is a Solid Rock under us. Unchanging. Not swayed or moved by current events, or how we feel or what life seems to be like at the moment.

Thanks for the reminder...

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home