What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Star Wars and the Bible

A couple weeks ago when I was visiting the Joneses, Jed and I had a little conversation up in his room. He was pointing out the various Star Wars paraphernalia around his room and rattling off the names of the characters. How does a five year-old know all this? Well, he is totally into Star Wars right now. I'm totally not into it, so it was all Greek to me, but I humored him. I can't remember how we got into the subject of Bible stories, but he confessed to me that he liked watching Star Wars more than listening to Bible stories. Something like that. Being an aunt, of course, I had to say something wise at that moment, so I asked, "Which one is more important?" He sighed in exasperation: "I know, I know!" Like, duh. I smiled and let it go. At least he's honest! Jill and I talked about it later and admitted that we sometimes find a novel more inviting than the Bible. I know when I'm plowing through some books in the Old Testament, any other book seems way more pleasant, especially first thing in the morning! I've felt a little convicted that I haven't hungered more after God's Word as life-giving manna. Reading it out of dutiful habit is one thing, but truly partaking of it with hungry delight is quite another. Something to think about.

Here are a couple good quotes I read:
"Faith must be tested, because it can be turned into a personal possession only through conflict...The final thing is confidence in Jesus. Believe steadfastly on Him and all you come up against will develop your faith...Faith is unutterable trust in God, trust which never dreams that He will not stand by us." -Oswald Chambers

"Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire." -William Butler Yeats

2 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Liking StarWars more than the Temple measurements? Now there's a shocker for sure. Of course, nothing beats the chapter about the 12 heads of tribes that brot the same thing for 12 days, and it repeats in excruciating detail. God must be building perseverance and patience in us...

6:21 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Those are very good quotes! Thanks for the sharing of them! We just need to remind Jed that God's FORCE is shown throughout His Word, and we want the FORCE to be with him in his little heart, right? :)

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home