What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Insomnia

Insomnia is extremely rare for me, and can almost always be attributed to caffeine late in the day or extreme excitement. But here I am at the computer at almost midnight in my little pink pajamas because I couldn't sleep! I'm one of those blessed people that goes to sleep within ten minutes of putting my head down. So why couldn't I sleep, you ask? Tea! I'm not a frequent tea drinker, nor am I a caffeineaholic (like Craig is turning into), but for some reason, a good cup of tea appealed to me this afternoon. We were out of Irish Breakfast, so I decided on Chai Green tea, doused in good British fashion with cream and sugar. 'Twas pretty good, but now I'm lamenting the very thought of tea as my brain craves sleep and my body rebels! So what was there to do but get up and blog? Some of my most prolific writing times are at night.

Today my pastor confessed that he was stuffy. Only it wasn't the way it sounds. He said,"Could somebody open some windows; I'm stuffy." Of course he meant that he felt stuffy physically, but his daughter, Rachel, and I instantly looked at each and stifled giggles.

I've made some interesting observations about singlehood recently. Now, when you reach 25 and you're still single, most people will look at you with concern, pitying your poor condition and casting about in their minds for a suitable match ("I have a son..."). I get together with girlfriends, and usually the first or second thing they ask is, "So do you have a man in your life yet?" When the answer is negative, they awkwardly change the subject, or go on to a more interesting conversationalist. I mean, if you don't have a guy, what could possibly be interesting in your life?? Don't you know that marriage is the ONLY source of happiness? Okay, maybe they don't actually think that, but the message is subtly conveyed. And then there are the guys. Single guys sometimes get the idea that at my age I'm "on the hunt," so they freak out and do their best to avoid me. Sheesh.

I wrote a little about this on Jill's blog, but I've reached the point where I can honestly say, "YES, I'm still single, and it's awesome!!" Of course I look forward to the day when Prince Charming will carry me off to his castle, BUT in the meantime, I am going to fully enjoy the blessings of singlehood. I am delightfully free from heart entanglements. Free, that is, to pursue God wholeheartedly; free to pursue more education; free to travel when I want; free to minister with music and hospitality; free to get a good night's sleep (sans caffeine); and free to trust God for every need (including the right man at the right time). I decided I'm not going to wait till I get married to appreciate the blessings of singleness (I get panicky at the thought of missing something!). Fact is, there are things about singleness that aren't fun (like loneliness), but there will be things about marriage that won't be fun either (although I'm told the joys far outweigh the other)! As Jim Elliot said, "Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt of every situation you believe to be in the will of God." So I've never had one offer in my entire life? Praise God. So half my friends are getting married and looking disgustingly happy? God bless them. So people don't understand what I'm doing? Deal with it. Seize the day!

7 Comments:

Blogger pennyjean said...

I'm so glad that you are happy being single. They say that if you aren't content being single, you won't be content when you are married.

I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Bravo, Harold!!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

You go, girl! I'm sorry about the awkwardness in conversations, and that feeling that people are feeling sorry for you. That stinks. But your set of soul is beautiful, and people just have to recognize that God hasn't called you to marriage yet because He has a purpose right now in your singleness. You have a special ministry with other single girls, and you will have so much more to offer a husband when he comes along. When you're in the midst of diapers and dirty dishes you won't be pining away wishing you had taken advantage of more opportunities before you were married. You have a wonderful chance to get some living under your belt and do things you don't be able to do later. Hey, wait a minute, you don't need me to give you a pep talk! If I could I'd wrap up Mr. Right and give him to you for your birthday.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

I have found that a big hammer to the head, about 30seconds before you want to sleep, will do the job...

3:14 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I had to get to your third line before I knew you were referring to insomnia! At first I was wondering how a hammer was going to cure singleness! (Maybe it does! Or maybe it causes it.)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

You mean NO ONE has told you? Every girl needs a big hammer before she can get hitched! It is a law of the universe, unchanging and eternal...

3:19 AM  
Blogger KMS said...

Yeah, I think that people talk to me about getting married more than I think about it myself. Seems like there's been a rash of people asking me lately about whether I want to get married. (Guess I should be relieved if I don't LOOK like I want to get married!) Anyway, blessings to you where you are. I'm off to do some planning for the next ten years of my life. :-)

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home