What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Job perks and deperks

One of the neat things about being a harpist is going places I wouldn't normally get to go. Like on Wednesday night I played at the Seattle Yacht Club for a dental college "hospitality hour" before their banquet. It was a beautiful location right on the water with tons of boats in full view from the windows and golden sunlight streaming in. The place was pretty swanky, too, but with plenty of nautical charm. Most of the people there were older male dentists with their wives, and probably a few female dentists. They all stood around wearing expensive suits and gleaming smiles while drinking disgusting smelling drinks and exchanging polite, meaningless chatter. They liked the harp music and I went home after an hour. One of the downsides of being a harpist is losing callouses (sp?) during vacation and then getting sore finger tips after playing loudly for an hour. No blisters, though, PTL. I'm playing for a wedding tomorrow evening.

Yesterday I taught some harp lessons after two weeks off. It wasn't long enough! I felt all nervy and fidgety. One student asked out of the blue if I had a headache. No...but if I teach too much longer I'll get one! It was only four students. First, a sassy 7th grader wearing flowers and jewelry she acquired on their Hawaiian vacation. She had long fingernails which I made her cut before starting. Took her about ten minutes. Meanwhile, a bagpiper was playing full blast outside the office building. Then there was the 16 year-old with ADHD and a head cold. Patience! Then there's the mid-30's woman who's still a beginner after 7 years of playing the harp. More patience. Bloodsugar is sinking. Finally, a 10 year old little girl who has to have instructions repeated several times. I came home, ate a wonderful summer dinner, and watched Walker and then a John Wayne movie most of the evening. Good thing summer's only half over; I need to get a grip before getting back to teaching all the time!

5 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

What or who is Walker? I recommend fig newtons for low blood sugars :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Walker, Texas Ranger -- the TV show. Total guy show, but I love it. Great fights. :-)

9:40 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

I wondered if it was that, but it just didn't seem like "you" :) I guess one learns something new every day...

6:16 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

What was in their "disgusting smelling drinks?" Flouride treatments? Mouthwash?

9:58 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Think of fermentation.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home