What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Mummy pill, anyone?

I came across this interesting tidbit while reading about Egypt: Because it was believed that Egyptian mummies gained magical powers after their extensive funeral rites, European physicians began offering "powdered mummy" as a panacea to any human ailment. They had the mummies imported in from Egypt and ground them up, wrappings and all, then sold the powder to desparate patients. Of course this led some crooks to manufacture "ancient" mummies. Fortunately, this weird practice was banned in the 16th century. Can you imagine? "I've got a headache, I better go take a mummy pill." Not that the pharmaceutical companies never do anything shady these days...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, that's just gross.

1:33 PM  
Blogger QueenOfLillyFlowers said...

Thank you for that fact, Kristi, it was very interesting!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Oh, my - I am glad the practice was banned! Yuck! Thanks for sharing that bit of trivia!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

disgusting Kristi! Wherever did you hear that? I'll have to repeat it to my brothers, who will appreciate it greatly. :-)

5:46 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Sorry for grossing everyone out! I was thinking more of the weirdness than the grossness, but if I let myself dwell on it enough, I could probably get grossed out, too.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Laughter said...

Gross? Not at all. I say totally fascinating. :)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

I saw an ad in "Ancient Egyptian Pharmaceuticals" for "Tincture of Tut," and "Cat--God Capsules." They said it was legitimate and effective. Why are you making fun of real science?!!??!!

KIDDING!!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Der, Lori! What have you been ingesting?

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home