What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Angelo

Let me tell you about Angelo. He's tall, dark, and handsome, with a voice that simply spellbinds his listeners. Women swoon over him, men are impressed with him, and children are starstruck by him. But he's all mine, ladies! This romantic Adonis and I have been together for nearly seven years. Together we have attended and participated in countless events such as weddings, receptions, funerals, parties, showers, etc. He has stood by me on the concert stage many times, humbly allowing me to accept all the applause, though he deserves half the credit. He and I survived a car crash together, he's been to Canada with me (and helped me earn a performance diploma from the Royal Conservatory of Music), and he helped me win second place in a concerto competition. In the orchestra, he's head and shoulders above anybody else there. Have you guessed who he is yet? Yup, he's my harp. :-) Pretty impressive, isn't he?

Any time I take my harp to an event, I usually get similar comments or questions. Many people have never seen a "real live harp" face to face, so there's a big element of awe there. As I wheel my 6 foot, 80 pound monstrosity into a room, eyes widen and people move aside as respectfully as if I were moving a casket. I remember back in the days when I was in the Tacoma Youth Symphony, I played in a few school tours where we'd go to elementary schools and play some pieces while introducing instruments to the kids. If they were sitting there when I moved the harp in, the level of excitement rose 10 degrees. Then when I took the cover off I'd hear "Whooooaa!!! That is so cooool!!" It was very rewarding. :-) The conductor would often point out the different instruments and ask the kids to name them. When he got to the harp there was no question that they recognized it! "A haaarp!!!" (I remember one kid calling the violin bow a stick!)

Here are some of the comments or questions commonly heard:

As I haul it up a flight of stairs: "So how much does that thing weigh?" It only weighs 80 pounds, but it looks heavier. Next time I should nonchalantly reply, "200 pounds." Gasp!

As a couple guys are moving it with great temerity: "How much is this thing worth?" I reply, "About $15,500." "Whoa! You better not drop it, John!" No, you jolly well better not, Buster.

"What does harp music look like? Is it like piano music?" No, it's like timpani music. Duh.

"How long have you been playing the harp?" Why do people always want to know that?

"Oh, I've always wanted to play the harp!" -- This always gushed by women.

"So, what kind of car do you drive?" - This usually comes from the curious males. A VW Beetle of course. Sigh. I wish. But the realistic and obvious answer is a minivan.

And the #1 most common when I'm moving it: "I bet you wished you'd learned the flute! Hahahaha!" Groan. What's comical is that probably every person who says that thinks they are so original and so funny!

7 Comments:

Blogger CKS said...

Grrr! People can be so annoying when you're hauling an instrument around! I know all about it...I've heard a number of those comments myself, and I only play the cello. I can't tell you how many times the flute one comes up.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

I shall remember to never say that flute thingy to people hauling big instruments; unless I want to annoy them :)

1:07 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

15,500! Sounds like quite a dowry!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Heh heh...that's not all! Add to that another $1200 harp, a 2002 minivan, a piano, and several pieces of furniture, and it starts to add up!

9:06 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Apparently it's still not enough.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

So is Angelo the harp Italian?

12:40 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

He was born in Chicago, but I think he's got some Italian charm. :-)

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home