What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Drinking Groomsmen and Golden Summertime

I have played at, sung at, attended, or been in a bajillion weddings, so I can tell a few stories. However, I witnessed something at Saturday's wedding that I'm still shaking my head over. First of all, though the ceremony had many Christian sentiments, I don't believe the families were more than nominally Christian. I and my harp were on stage behind a row of six groomsmen, so I had a pretty good view of them, especially the two at the end of the line. I started noticing that these two--who were probably my age or older--kept making little comments and smirks at each other. A little immature, I thought. The running conversation was bad enough, but then I noticed one covertly taking a flask out of his tux and taking a quick swig! "Oh, my word," I thought, "that had better be water." But I doubt it. I was almost doubtful that I'd seen it, until he did it again. Then the guy at the very end took out his own little flask and took a sip! The other one offered his to another groomsman who laughingly refused. This is all while the ceremony is happening! And do you think they stopped talking or drinking while the minister prayed or while I played the unity candle song? NO! I glared at them when I could, but they didn't seem to take much notice. I couldn't believe the gall of such behavior in the house of God at a sacred ceremony in front of a whole host of witnesses! I should have gotten up and knocked their heads together!

In other, lighter news, summer has finally arrived in Western Washington!! The last few months have been mostly gray, cold, and wet, so we're excited to have warm, dry sunshine. It's about 100 degrees right now, but there's a little breeze and it's not unbearable if you're in the shade. This morning I went on a 7-mile bike ride to town and back, and drank in the beauty of awesome Mt. Rainier, the brilliant blue sky, the bright green foliage, and quaint farm country. I've been reading out on the patio most of the day and took a little dip in the pool. Funny how cold that pool can feel even on the hottest day. I have a strong desire for ice cream, but I'm exercising self-control because my body does not need another pound! Summertime is pretty dangerous to the waistline in our house. Fruit pies, ice cream, shakes, frappucinos...it's just terrible!

10 Comments:

Blogger wideyed said...

How rude. I can't imagine what they were like at the reception.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's deplorable. It's an anecdote showing the crumbling of civilized society.

And it probably doesn't say too much about the groom either... Unfortunately he had a choice about who stood up with him and he picked friends that are obviously not members in good standing of civilized society. What a shame.

(I've seen grooms pass over people that have been their true friends in life, have helped them grow and mature, and instead pick their groomsmen from their 'latest batch of hang-out' friends. I have a family member that was guilty of this very thing, they ended up embarrassing him much worse then the "flask incident.") ---Such a shame.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

I might get flamed because of this question, so don't take it the wrong way, but why, for all that is, WHY does everything always come down to the waist? Just wondering...

2:29 PM  
Blogger Silas said...

You could have broken the flask over one of the drunkards head. But of course that would have only got one of them.

3:20 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Kristi, you knocking some groomsmen's heads together would have been a home movie I'd pay money to see.

7:10 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

I saw your title to this post and wondered, "Hmmm...how exactly does one drink groomsmen?" I thought it was going to be a play on words or something. Shows my lily-white innocence.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Derrick, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean why does food always go to the waist, or why do people obsess about their waist?

9:35 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

the obsessing part...

3:21 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Well, I guess I wouldn't expect a guy to obsess about his waist. For me, it's not an obsession, but a matter of self-discipline, health, a little vanity, and basically staying in the same clothes! I don't want to have to buy bigger sized clothes -- that could get expensive! But that's just me; I can't speak for other people's waist obsessions.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

I was going to leave a comment almost identical to Chads...but he hath stolen my thunderage. It was a most amusing mental image that sprang to mind- you doing a Carry Nation imitation. Ooo!! I rhyme!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home