What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Power of a Hug

Something happened this morning that I wanted to write about. At church before the service started, I headed to the bathroom. (No, that's not what the story's about!) As I was about to go in, another girl came out. This girl is about 19 years and very sweet and quaint, but as their family is new, I really don't know her very well and we seldom talk. I smiled and said hi, and then to my great surprise she leaned forward and gave me a hug! I was so shocked I just smiled and mumbled, "Thanks!" Brilliant response. I'm not sure why it astonished me so much, but I found that her simple act brightened up the morning thereafter for me! It made me just feel loved and noticed, and in turn made me want to love others. I guess I don't expect hugs except from people I'm really close to or something. The funny thing is that my primary love language is touch, so I found myself wondering afterwards why I'm not more lavish with my "language." Maybe it comes from growing up in a family of words of affirmation and time; my language was sometimes a foreign one, so I learned to not really "speak" unless I knew the recipient wanted it. But this girl's kindly deed sort of convicted me to stop being selfish and just use my language to bless others whenever possible -- maybe even people I don't really know very well. After all, who doesn't like a hug or a simple caring touch? I read somewhere that we should look at everyone as if they have a sign on them saying, "Love me. Notice me. Accept me."

I didn't mean for this to turn into a sermon! I'm sure you're all way better at showing love than I am. Some of us are just a little slower to catch on. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Loreo said...

I can vouch that you hugged me several times this weekend. Thanks for noticing my sign. Ha ha!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi,

That was really good, and very thought provoking.
I read something similar ..it was that Zig Ziglar once said: imagine that everyone you meet is wearing
a sign that says "I'm hurting" and you'll be right
99% of the time.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Being a words of aff\quality time type person myself, this story doesn't quite affect me the same :) But I'm glad it made you think. Hey, does smacking count? Cause I smack my sister all the time and am wondering if I can convert that to "i love you" points?

2:22 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Kritty, I'm so sorry I never understood your love language growing up! Your blog was a reminder to be freer with hugs, particularly toward "touch" people like you. It's such a good thing to know other people's love languages!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home