What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Baklava

Anybody want a piece of baklava? I made some this morning and just wolfed down a piece with great relish. The first time I tried this Mediterranean delicacy, it was a complete disaster. But then I found this recipe last year and was most pleased with it. It's kind of finicky and time-consuming to make, but oh so worth it! And if you're trying to be conscientious about calories, then forget about it; it's stock full of butter and sugar. Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try.

Baklava

1 pound (3 cups) finely chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 cup butter (melted)
1 lb. box phyllo dough (be sure it's totally thawed!)
Preheat oven to 350. Grease 13x9 baking dish. Put 4 phyllo sheets folded in half on bottom of pan. Brush melted butter in between each layer. Spread nut mixture evenly across top sheet. Layer another six sheets, brushing with butter after each layer. Continue with another layer of nuts. Repeat process till top of pan is reached. Drip rest of butter on top and smear.
Cut squares or diamonds to make 1-inch squares. Bake 40-45 minutes. While the baklava bakes, make syrup.
Syrup:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup lemon juice
Pinch of ground cloves
Pour all ingredients into pot with 1 cup water. Boil 15 minutes or more until syrup thickens. Cool. Spoon over baked pastry. Let baklava stand 30 minutes to soak up syrup.

5 Comments:

Blogger Loreo said...

Oh sure, you wait till the day after I leave to make something amazing! I love baklava, but have never made it. It's not something easy to find, is it? Can you e-mail me a piece, if there's any left!

12:32 AM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

That sounds so good! I love baklava but have never tried to make it. You are courageous! You can e-mail me a piece as well!

5:58 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Hmm...the attachment might take a while to come through. And it might clog up your computer parts. Still want me to try?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Hmm - I guess it might clog up the computer! Oh well! Enjoy - if you have any left!

11:17 AM  
Blogger brilynne said...

Partly inspired by you, a friend and I made baklava yesterday. It was a bit of an adventure because we didn't have any honey and only a cup or so of pecans to use. We found a recipe that had a sugar syrup and used it instead. Came out ok, but next time I'll wait until I have honey.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home