What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Anatomy Lessons

Last week while I was teaching school, I asked the kids what the difference is between our speaking voice and singing voice. They looked sort of puzzled, then one girl offered an explanation. She said that when we sing, the sound comes from the gut (hoots of laughter around the room) or stomach (further hoots plus furious blushing). I couldn't help laughing (not the first time I've been guilty of that), but I gently told her she meant the diaphragm, and that we actually can speak from there too. And I went on to tell them the difference. So do YOU know what the difference is? :-)

I was giving a harp lesson to a little third-grade girl, who has a tendency to get sidetracked. I was talking away about something and she appeared to be paying close attention to my words or at least my mouth. But I was kind of surprised when she very politely said, "You have a little black thing between your two front teeth." Oh, gracious. I informed her that it was a little gap, not a black thing. Actually, that's not the first time someone's pointed that out to me. If someone's eye-level with my mouth and paying close attention to it, they'll undoubtedly notice the little gap. Hopefully braces (Invisalign) will take care of that!

I wish I could remember all the funny things I hear from kids! It's pretty rare for me to go through a lesson or class without laughing. Kids - gotta love 'em.

8 Comments:

Blogger Loreo said...

CHARMING COMMENTS!!!!! NOT!!!! Time for word identification, gap girl. :)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Silas said...

What you need to do is wait!!! About one minute after posting your article the spammers get to work. 99% of the time the spam they leave is left in the first minute. Just refresh your page and check the comments section for garbage.

Gut singing? I always thought that was for singers who forgot the words to their music.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

I have to disagree with Tash. Give them 45 minutes. After that, your blog is old enough so they leave it alone.

As for kids being fun or cute or whatever, that is true to a point :) Then they are just little fleshpots that make you want to scream, lol...

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has to do with where the center of resonance is doesn't it?

4:45 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'm wracking my brain trying to scrounge up some bit of information that might have rubbed off on me during your years of voice training when we lived under the same roof. Nothing's coming to mind. So what IS the difference between one's singing voice and speaking voice? You're not going to leave us hanging, are you?

8:23 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Okay, I'll tell you. This is what I believe anyway. Singing is really just sustained speech in a higher register and on varied pitches. Most of us speak in a lower chest voice. The problem some kids have is getting out of that low, monotone voice into the upper register and then moving their voice from pitch to pitch. I think it partly has to do with their ear and how they're hearing pitches.
There's your lesson for the day!

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just HAD to do a google search on this... Here's one authoritative looking source.

http://www.vocalessentials.com/faq.html (See Question #4.)

Interesting stuff!! Thanks Kristi for the curiosity!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Interesting site, Jeremy. I forgot to mention breathing, too. Oh, and for an illustration of the sustained speech theory, just watch "The Music Man"! I love the part where the professor turns the four men into a quartet!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home