What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Random Stuff

Ah, I'm enjoying a wonderfully quiet, lazy Saturday morning! I slept in until like 8:30! Funny how as I get older, my ability to sleep late decreases. At least I don't have any kids waking me up at the crack of dawn. :-)

I felt like I was running all week and only getting done about half the things I needed to. It didn't help that my neck was out all week either. It all started last Friday night when we were eating dinner in the living room. I was leaning over my plate when suddenly the room appeared to tilt sideways. I let out a startled cry and doubled over, scaring my parents half to death. This major wave of dizziness passed over me while my mom held me. It soon passed, but over the week I frequently experienced waves of dizziness, nausea, head pressure, and ear sensitivity. I went to the chiropractor on Tuesday. He fixed my back but didn't think my neck was out. But it didn't get any better, so I went again yesterday and sure enough, my neck was out, and he put it back into place. I think I'm doing better, but I'm worried about it going out again. My back definitely gives me more problems when I'm under more stress and I'm moving my harp around a lot.

My school kids appear to be loving music class, for which I'm grateful. It's one of my goals to make music learning a positive experience, shaping their love of music for the rest of their lives. I was working with the Kindergarten and first grade class, talking about pitches and training their ears to recognize highs and lows. We were singing a Christmas song when a first grade boy raised his hand and then proceeded to give me this delightful bit of information: "Sometimes boogers get kind of caught down in my throat and it sort of makes my voice rusty and scratchy so I can't sing the higher notes." He said this with such an earnest, serious expression that I couldn't possibly laugh at him. I encouraged him to clear his throat and try anyway. Oh, dear. Ya never know what these kids will pop out with!

Last night the school staff, a couple staff spouses, and the administrators' 2 kids went to a swanky Italian restaurant in Seattle for dinner. I think there were 11 of us total. I couldn't believe how busy the city was! But then, I'm rarely there on a Friday night. I knew I'd stepped into a different world when we walked into the restaurant and I saw these four very urban, sophisticated people toasting each other with champagne glasses. And I knew we were in Seattle when I saw several gay couples eating together. But anyway, we had a fun time eating tons of food and easily spending $300, I would guess. The head of school paid for it all! The appetizers were good, my dinner wasn't that great (a ton of pasta with a few tiny pieces of chicken), and my dessert was absolutely yummy. It was a round, fairly solid chocolate mousse concoction with some raspberries in it and crunchy pieces of chocolate on top. Mmmm! I felt pretty sleepy after that. We were there about 4 hours! I wonder what the waiter thought of us.

Speaking of waiters! My word, it's so weird. In almost every restaurant, the male waiters have this thing for me. Happened in Jordan, it's happened in dozens of other restaurants. I'll be with several girlfriends even, and the waiter will pay special attention to me! My friends find it hilarious, but it's rather embarassing to me. So I thought our tall, blonde, dignified waiter last night was going to be an exception until the very end. He was standing next to me and asked if we needed anything else. Then looking at me with this arch, flirty expression he said, "Anything else?" Oh, good grief. But at least he didn't flirt with the married teacher who was pretty flirty with him.

This is symphony weekend. I have a rehearsal this afternoon, another one tomorrow afternoon, and the concert is tomorrow night. It's a neat program, but during the last rehearsal I spent far more time sitting and waiting than actually playing. Sigh. Such is the life of symphony harpists. Drive an hour each way, wrestle a 6 foot, 80 pound harp around, and then sit and read a book while the brass section deafens one ear and the percussion the other.

5 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Your dessert sounded very good.

as for the whole waiter thing, well, that must be a pain. but I must say, I find it hilarious :)

5:59 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

That's funny about the waiter. I've never been around when it's happened. It would be amusing to watch. Embarassing but still rather flattering. :-)

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They let you read a book!

hehe

10:13 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

Yes, i have that same booger problem when I sing sometimes too. Hee hee. :) Kids! Pretty funny.

Great post!

4:54 AM  
Blogger lis said...

I remember singing in the Messiah and watching the harsichordist knit when she wasn't needed. And I remember going to the Messiah in J'lem and watching the trumpeters start to nod off. They had my sympathy, and now you do, too!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home