What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Kristi Recommends...

I love discovering a great book, CD, or movie and then telling somebody else about them so they can "discover" them, too! So here are some recent discoveries that I recommend, if you're interested.

The Holy War by John Bunyan. Actually, I read this years ago, but recently felt like reading it again. It's not as well known or as readily available as "Pilgrim's Progress," so I ordered a copy from Amazon. John Bunyan obviously knew Scripture and the Lord well. I gained a clearer picture of God's love for us (Mansoul) and Satan's design to destroy us. I also like how he puts names on the characters, like Mr. Conscience, Mr. Willbewill, Mr. Carnal Security, etc. It helped me to be aware of "Diabolonians" that may be lurking within my walls that need to be dealt with.

Music:

Nella Fantasia as sung by Il Divo. Gorgeous song presented by four gor...uh, handsome Italian guys. :-)

Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone. That's the name of the CD containing some of the most gorgeous music I've heard. Ennio Morricone is an Italian film composer who arranged his music for Yo-Yo Ma, who in turn made his cello just sing the music. I really love the first piece, Gabriel's Oboe, from The Mission. Several ice skaters skated to it during the Olympics.

Isabel Bayrakhdarian is an Armenian Canadian soprano with a gorgeous and versatile voice. If you hate opera singers, you'll probably hate her, but I found her much more enjoyable to listen to than some other sopranos. She sings on one of the tracks of Lord of the Rings, so you've probably already heard her. I have her CD, Azaluo, which contains a bunch of Spanish songs.

Celtic Woman is a cool CD full of Celtic and other music sung and played by five very talented Irish women. The arrangements are beautiful and the music is easy to listen to.

4 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Good book :-) I listened to an abridged version, and some day I'll actually read it.

Il Divo. I won't say here what I said to Ethan about them, lol...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Notice I wasn't necessarily recommending anything else by Il Divo -- just that particular song.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Do ya' suppose ol' YO-Yo Ma ever entertained hi'self with thet device his name brings ta mind...???

8:16 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

I'm going to see Yo-YO tomorrow.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home