What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Movie Adventures

Let me tell ya, finding a movie that my dad, mom, and I all enjoy is a definite challenge! My dad's not into chick flicks and my mom doesn't like much action or suspense. I like all of the above! I'm happy watching a Western or Indiana Jones or Agatha Christie with my dad, but then my mom ends up in the other room with a book. She's nice about it, but I usually feel a twinge of guilt. And then if I bring home a musical or a Jane Austen or that sort of thing, my dad ends up on the computer. Part of the problem is that our TV is right in our living room where we hang out, so it's not like we can just easily go watch a movie by ourselves. So we don't really watch many movies, and when I find a movie that we all like, I feel quite pleased with myself. At least we all like something with humor! Disney has produced some winners.

So last night my parents took off for a little overnight vacation at a hotel on the ocean. My dad was desparate for a break from the stress he's under. They felt bad leaving me by myself, but I was actually glad for the opportunity because then I could have an evening to myself watching movies that I want to watch!! So after work I stopped at the video store and picked up "Legend of Zorro" and "The Prince & Me 2" -- an action flick and a chick flick. I was looking for the new "Pride & Prejudice," but they were out of all the copies.

Something odd happened while I was searching for my movies. Several times I had to pass in front of a man who was also looking at movies. One of those times, he suddenly addressed me familiarly and said, "I'm looking for a movie I think you'd like." Excuse me? He was a 40ish, shortish black man, so I don't think he was trying to hit on me, but I was indeed taken aback. He pulled a movie off the shelf and assured me I would love it and it was a great story. Then he said it was just like the plot of another one and showed me that one. I smiled and tried to look interested, but fortunately I had two videos in my hand and gave the excuse that I wasn't going to get anymore, that I'd remember them for next time. I didn't tell him that those were definitely not the type of movies that I would watch, that I almost always stick with PG or G movies (these were PG-13 for sexual situations). He was a friendly chap and I wasn't offended, but I half wondered if he was an undercover store employee trying to push movies on uncertain looking customers. Has anyone else experienced this?

Well, anyway, I came home and had a nice little evening to myself. Actually, I wasn't feeling good -- maybe a touch of the flu or something. So I nursed myself with soup, toast, kettle korn, red vines, and Martinelli's. Great combo, huh? But I loved the movies! I really liked the new Zorro, maybe even more than the first one. Plenty of dazzling swashbuckling, but also some good "values." (Has anybody back East noticed how much the bad guy looks like Chad S? Amazing!)The "Prince & Me 2" was also cute -- much better than the first one, which I wouldn't recommend.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

No way! We watched "The Prince and Me 2" last night too! It was really cute and we both liked it a lot. I'm lucky that Evan doesn't mind chick flicks too much, as long as they're not TOO chick-y. My friend Sue gave me the new "Pride and Prejudice" for my birthday and Evan, Lindsay, and I watched in Wednesday night. It was excellent. Evan actually enjoyed this one, though he couldn't abide the six-hour one.

Now I want to see "The Legend of Zorro." Sounds like it's a little cleaner than the first one (no heads preserved in formaldehyde or racy scenes)?

5:56 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Yes, I think it's a little cleaner than the first one. Just warn Evan of the plunging necklines on Elena. :-o

3:24 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Legend of Zorro, better? I am shocked! I have never seen so many people make so many useless flips and rolls when all they needed to do was take a step :-) and, I wanted to spank the little kid...

3:15 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I watched "Legend of Zorro" last night while Evan was gone for the evening. I loved it, but I have to agree with Derrick that the stunts were a little over the top. Looked like Zorro was just showing off. Though you have to admit the stunts and flips were pretty cool. :-)

4:35 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

But he's Zorro!! He's supposed to do amazing and over-the-top stunts! Okay, so it was a little more showy than the first one, but it still had some cool action. Did you watch the behind-the-scenes featurettes? Pretty amazing how they did some of that stuff.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

I've watched both the A&E and BBC versions of Pride and Prejudice and enjoyed them very much---I've also seen several more long versions of Jane Austin's stuff I like... ...I ain't seen the Zorro flick or the other one you mentioned but they sound interesting to me... ...I'm not sure 'bout ol' 'Lanche though, but then he's a hoss. Last time he watched a comedy flick with me he laughed in all the wrong places...

6:53 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

I never watch extra's unless I really, really, REALLY liked the movie. so they are pretty much wasted on me. Even on the LotR extended editions I never watched the extra stuff. I just bot them for the extra movie footage :-)

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home