What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Things They Don't Prepare Teachers For

When I teach kindergarteners and first graders, I get used to the funny (and sometimes naughty) things they do. But today was a new one: I had turned my back a minute to grab something when a little kindergarten boy came up to me and said a certain girl had just kissed him! I think I must have looked a little stupefied for a moment, because this hasn't happened on my beat before. I called her over and asked if she'd kissed him. At first she said no, but then 'fessed up that she had, just a little, though I'm not sure where. Should I send her back to her teacher, give her a time out, or...? I decided to give a stern conjunction to not kiss boys and to keep to herself! She nodded with understanding, so I hope that settles it! Word, where do these kids pick up these boy/girl things at such a young age?? Sadly, I remember flirting and "liking" boys clear back in second grade, if not before. I guess it's just part of our natural makeup or something.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most likely the natural instinct is cultivated too early in children by TV and movies. As I heard recently, America has very few real children, because most of them already have adult knowledge.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

I agree with anon. It is natural, just fed way too early...

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The next time I hear some adult saying "Oh, look, [insert toddler's name here] has a little girl friend! Isn't that cute!"

... I think I'll scream.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

What happened to cooties?

4:09 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I won't deny that most kids are too heavily influenced by the media, but I also believe that there's nothing new under the sun. Kids a hundred years ago were snitching kisses (or wanting to) and having crushes, etc. Most little boys still believe in cooties, but little girls (the relational gender) or much more romantically sensible. And if a child is naturally affectionaly demonstrative (like the little girl in my story) and comes from a demonstrative family, they have to learn the lesson that you shouldn't lavish affection on everyone equally!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home