What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Silliness

Craig's post about spoonerisms reminded me of some of the funny word plays we enjoyed with my cousins Brad and Penny when we were young. We all share some goofy blood and spent hours amusing ourselves and each other. One thing that hit our funny bone was spoonerizing couples' names. For instance: instead of Bill and Marge, we'd say Mill and Barge. Of course it only works when both names start with a consonant. Here are some more:
Rim and Tuth
Laul and Paura
Shim and Tarron
Nick and Dina (actually, that doesn't sound too weird!)
Bil and Phev
Chill and Berilyn
Pate and Nenny
Crad and Blaire

You get the idea. Such fun.

The other thing that I think Brad taught us (but I could be wrong) is adding "in the bathtub" to a song title, especially a hymn. Now of course you have to use caution that you don't slip into blasphemous sacrilege, but here's how it works:
Shall We Gather at the River...in the bathtub
Showers of Blessing...in the bathtub
Come, Thou Fount...in the bathtub
Brethren, We Have Met to Worship...in the bathtub
We're Marching to Zion...in the bathtub
Count Your Blessings...in the bathtub
Day is Dying in the West...in the bathtub
Blessed Be the Fountain...in the bathtub
We Have an Anchor...in the bathtub

I'm cracking up as I write these! Great amusement. Hope I haven't offended anybody. You can blame it on Brad. :-)
And speaking of that worthy gentleman, he was messing with video cameras when he was just a lad, long before there was such a thing as a vlog. I remember he and Penny loved to make "backwards" videos. They would tape ordinary or non-ordinary happenings at home and then play it backwards. Cats were the best objects for this sort of project. Or they would make things appear or disappear through "trick" photography.
Ah, those were the good old days. Now we're all grown up and never think of partaking of such juvenile silliness.
Ha ha ha!!

9 Comments:

Blogger drewey fern said...

Hee hee hee - that definitely made me laugh out loud. I introduced my kids to Spoonerisms this year and they were entranced!

On a slightly related note, I remember making my family laugh in the middle of a PRAYER, when I was perhaps 8 or 9, by praying for Uncle Pat and Aunt Dave:)

1:27 PM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Ah, the memories....those backwards videos were so much fun to watch....

4:27 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Well do I remember those days! Good times.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed laughing at this! Very funny stuff!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Chuckle!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

I would like to partake in some juvenile silliness!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Well, with your kids, I should think it wouldn't be that hard, Lori!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Linds said...

Oooh Kristi - I love that "in the bathtub" game. My fave in Warrior Songs is "The Opening Crash..."
Aaah :)

2:59 PM  
Blogger KMS said...

Oh, yes! Mill and Barge was one of my favorite spoonerism couples. I think my all time favorite, though, was Sob and Bue.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home