What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Back in the USA

I'm back! I had a pleasant time up in B.C., but it's good to be back on home turf. I drove up on Monday evening to visit my friend who lives just over the border. Kristin and I met almost three years ago and were instantly attracted to each other because we're both tall and we both sing! Actually, she's so tall that I look petite next to her. She's 6'2 1/2"! I'm "only" 5'10", which is tall enough, but 6'2" is even tall for a guy. Craig and Chad, can you imagine looking eye level with a girl?? Whenever we go out in public, people kind of stare at her, but either she doesn't notice or she's quite used to it. Her brother and dad are also very tall and thin; I think they're around 6'6", so I feel very small at their house!

Kristin also has a lovely soprano voice, and we've done several concerts together. She sings harmony very well, and our voices blend so perfectly that sometimes people can't distinguish who's singing what. I'm plotting a Christmas concert, but we shall see...

Yesterday she and I set out to explore Vancouver, the biggest city in western Canada, and a major international hub. I'd been there a couple times before for harp exams, but never to sightsee. One of the first things I notice when I'm there is the huge Asian population. They're everywhere, which explains why some people have dubbed the city "Hongcouver." There are also a lot of East Indians. Being summertime, there were quite a few tourists around of every ethnicity. The city has its own unique and modern flavor, no doubt influenced by the many nationalities.

One of the first things we did on a whim (after I found Starbucks) was go to the Vancouver Art Museum. They were showing a large Rodin exhibition, which I thought would be interesting. The whole first floor was full of his bronze sculptures, and they were indeed very interesting. The next two floors were showing extremely weird and modern "works of art" which were anything but art in my book. Some were downright disturbing. I think these "artists" have serious issues. But the top floor had a native Vancouver artist's works which were still somewhat modern (mid-20th century), but much more palatable. The museum had a delightful little cafe where we ate lunch out on a terrace surrounded by lovely plants, tall buildings, birds, and classical music.

The rest of the day was spent hunting for our parking garage, exploring Stanley Park, and then walking around Granville Island, where we eventually got dinner. I feel like we walked 10 miles! I will spare my friend's reputation by skipping details, but we were lost a good deal of the time, which gave us occasion for either more exercise or more driving time! I was doing the driving because her car was being used. Driving in a strange city is always an adventure. And then so many pedestrians were everywhere (many of them jaywalking), that I wasn't sure I was going to survive the day without killing someone! By the end of the day I was tired and hungry enough to find the concept somewhat inviting.

We were exhausted by the end of the day, but overall, it was a fun journey. I made the three hour trek home this morning, quite happy to cross the border and see the beloved stars & stripes as well as miles instead of kilometres!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

So glad you had a nice time in BC. We were just in Canada, too, as you know, and I was so glad to get back to American money and miles! Canada does have fascinating money, though. It was always a rewarding experience to rummage around in my wallet for money up there and find a toony (for those of you who don't know, that's a two-dollar coin). Pretty cool to find a two-dollar coin when you're used to finding nothing of higher value than a quarter among your change!

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't a Canadian toony and a US quarter have about the same value? ;-)

Notice: The prior comment was meant as satire, and to rib my good friends and relatives that live in Canada. It is by no means an actual insult of the Canadian monetary system or in any way implying that Canada is inferior in any way to the United States. Some of the afore mentioned items may be true, but pointing these out was not the reason for my satirical post.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

Hurray for inches and dollar bills. Or something like that. Not a big fan of inches, or paper money. I like the feet thing, but not those inches. How random and weird is this?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I'm not sure how this turned into a money discussion! I think Canadian money is neat looking, but I'm content with ours.

9:19 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

I had a female student this last year who was in the 6'1" to 6'2" range. It was quite fascinating, if not strange, being able to talk to her and not look down on her.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home