What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Randomness

Okay, here's a random little post of random tidbits of my life.

My mom has been gone since Tuesday and returns this Tuesday. She's visiting my grandma in NH, plus of course those little grandkids of hers. We miss her and she misses us. Truly a mother is the heart of the home! When she's gone, there's just something missing. And I'm not talking about the cooking and cleaning aspect (though that's a bonus!). I miss her soft motherly hugs (my dad definitely feels different), cheery good mornings, bustling around the kitchen, taking time to listen when I need to talk something out, and all those other things mothers are known for.

The weather has been beastly hot the past few days, usually around 100 degrees. I don't think the house has gotten below 80 for days. Very few people have air conditioners around here. We have ceiling fans in several rooms, which have limited value. Today I felt infinitely better after a dip in the pool.

Speaking of pools, I had to rescue our poor pool on Friday morning. My dad had filled it up rather fullish the previous evening. I came out Friday morning just after he'd left to discover the pool about as high as my knee and still spilling over one side. The inflatable ring at the top which basically holds the thing up has a little leak in it, plus the pool is lopsided, so it just couldn't hold all that water. Now I have this strange phobia of pools, drains, plumbing, and that sort of thing, so I really didn't want to deal with it, but alas, we had company coming and my dad was gone. So I finally swallowed my fears and bolstered up enough Yankee spirit to inflate the ring with a ShopVac (another scary creature) and then fill up the pool for several hours. I didn't dare fill it up very high, so the water only comes up about three feet. Yeehaw.

And who was this company? For those who checked a certain Rhode Islander's blog, you'll know it was the Paul Browns! I sweated through the day cleaning the whole house, watering, making two raspberry pies, and a chicken salad. They came for dessert. It's so weird to see people here that I always see at Fairwood! They were rather weary from their travels so they didn't stay long, but we had a pleasant visit. They were still deciding what they were going to do each day, and not coming to any definitely conclusions that I could tell. I do know they went to the Red Sox/Mariner's game in Seattle today. Bless their hearts -- I hope they didn't melt in the heat!

Yesterday I played at an outdoor wedding. The ceremony was outdoors. It was a lovely somewhat shaded lawn, but it was still drippy hot. The groom and other men looked very uncomfortable in their long-sleeved shirts and ties and dark pants. Man, I'm glad I'm not a man! Not that I wasn't hot, but at last I could wear short sleeves and no socks! The reception was at a club, which was not air conditioned. Alcohol was flowing freely and I was asked several times if I wanted something from the bar. Hmm...I didn't say this ("Water is fine, thank you," is what I really said.), but even if I weren't a conscientious teetotaller, wouldn't it be kind of dangerous to give a harpist alcohol? What would it do to the music?? AND I'd have to drive home afterwards. What superfluous nonsense alcohol is! It stinks and it turns people into such idiots. Fortunately, we Christians have the Holy Spirit instead! How wonderful to be at Christian gatherings where joy and laughter and peace abound -- without any alcohol! Ahem, okay, enough of the temperance speech there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

I liked your line that went something like "Man- I'm glad I'm not a man!" Yep. My sentiments exactly. About me. And you!

3:21 AM  
Blogger CKS said...

Funny, I was just thinking recently how unfair it is that women have formal clothing that is cool and airy, but men do not. I mean, men have NICE clothing that is cool (certain shorts and short-sleeved shirts) but no FORMAL clothing that is cool. When we go formal we have to cover up from head to toe and choke ourselves with collars and ties. When women go formal, they have the option of sleeveless and such. Definitely not fair!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

You have my sympathy, for what it's worth. :-)

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home