What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Be Careful What You're Thankful For!

My parents' car broke down on Saturday. Something to do with the alternator, and it cost them considerable time and inconvenience. Fortunately MY reliable van was around to rescue them and take us all to church on Sunday. I'm not sure I said anything, but I remember feeling grateful that my Chevy '02 van which I've had 2 and and a half years has not given me any problems beyond a cracked windshield which I'm ignoring.

So imagine my chagrin when, directly after church, I pressed the button to roll down the driver's window and nothing happened! Several teenage boys studied the matter intently, and my dad messed with it to no avail. Actually, we forced it down, then couldn't get it back up. So I drove home with the window most of the way down and my hair going all over the place.

Today my mom and I went out to run errands together to save on time and gas. In a burst of energy, the window actually went up at my pressing the button. That was a blessing for both hair and safety! We went to the Chevy dealership and waited nearly two hours to get a diagnosis. I was hoping it was just some little simple part, easy and cheap to replace. But no, it turns out it's this whole mechanism inside the door which controls several things, including the button, needs to be replaced. Bottom line, the part has to be ordered, there would be 3 hours of labor, and it would ultimately cost $750! All for a window! I blanched and said something about not doing it right now. I guess I'll have to put up with the inconvience for now.

I really don't like going into car places. It's like they see me coming and see $$ signs. I get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube and they always seem to find something absolutely necessary to change or fix. I say no to about half of them, trying to bluff them into thinking I actually know something about the beast. Some places are more honest than others.

I had one place check out some squeeky brakes I had once. They gave it some mysterious, horrible diagnosis which would cost $400 to fix. I didn't trust them, and my dad didn't know what they were talking about, so I took it into Les Schwab where the mechanics instantly impressed me. I didn't tell them what the other place said. Imagine my smug relief when the guy said there was nothing wrong with the brakes! Just something to do with metal wearing, weather, or brake dust. Ha!

For years I've wanted to marry a very wealthy chiropractor who could give me adjustments whenever I want, but maybe I should marry a mechanic who will give me honest diagnostics and not charge me an arm and a leg! Hmm...I wonder if there's a rich chiropractor mechanic out there who can also sing and play piano like an angel! :-D Silly me, I guess I'll have to stick with spinsterhood and corruption.

7 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

The window stopped working in our GMC Safari, and in that of our friends the H's of NY as well. (Ours is actually at a garage being fixed right now!) Coincidence? I think not! Whoever you marry, Kristi, make sure he has NO ties to General Motors! :)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

So how much is yours costing to get fixed?

9:16 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

The bill just came in now: $150. Maybe you should try a different garage. Or better yet, drive your van out instead of flying! You'll save money in the long run! ;)

9:45 AM  
Blogger CKS said...

You never know what wonderman you might find on E-harmony!!! Try it out! Probably a chiropractor mechanic who's musical is just waiting.

Hmm...on second thought, with a list like yours, you might have to marry more than one man. :-)

8:13 PM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Funny how the things of this world are just soooooo temporary... 8~)

6:28 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Asaphat - I've heard of polygamy with multiple wives, but strangely, never polygamy with multiple husbands. Probably some reason for that.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Our Chevy Astrovan's driver side window quit working, too. It was such a pain! Good riddance to that car. E-Harmony, Kristi, that's the ticket!!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home