What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Mall Hunter

Nope, I didn't float away in the flood. In fact, we're experiencing a bit of cold sunshine, which is refreshing. This week has been rather busy.

Have you ever had a clothing item in mind that you had to find and were desparate enough to travel mall to mall and store to store until you found it?? Well, it began with a dress search. I think the dress styles right now should go on record as the ugliest ever. Pretty much all short, low, ugly fabric, ugly styles. A harpist needs a long, flowing, pretty dress, and for winter, long sleeves are good. Such a creature did not exist, so I decided to bite the bullet and make one. Usually my mom would do it, but she encouraged me to practice my sewing skills. So I found this pretty shimmery brown floral fabric and began. I remembered I don't like sewing. The fabric was slippery, making things worse. Sewing takes a finicky patience which I seem to be in want of. I wanted it done for a harp job tonight, so my mom did do the buttons and buttonholes, bless her heart. Those scared me to death, and I sure she went about three times faster than I would have. But the dress turned out okay, amazingly.

Well, my mom declared I needed some brown shoes to go with the dress. No, I did not make them. But I did hunt for days for the "perfect shoe" that did not seem to exist. Boots are really in right now, as well as really high heels or ballet flats. I don't mind up to 2 inches, but beyond that, I don't need the boost! Store after store revealed the wrong heel, the wrong color, the wrong price -- aaaagh! I didn't want to cry until Thursday night at Macy's when I thought I'd found The Shoe, but they didn't have my size. Friday morning I went to mall #3 and at store #3 found the right shoe. Hallelujah! The heel's a little over 2 inches, but not too terrible, and the color is a shimmery bronze. Mission accomplished!

Wouldn't it be easier to be a nun?

Preparations are under way for a shower here today for my friend Rachel. I think we'll have around 30 people. Should be a fun time. That means I should get off here to get some breakfast and get cracking!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. RF said...

At least you have a good variety of malls to hunt in! Glad you had success.

8:54 AM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

Poor Kristi - I sympathize! And I loved the line "wouldn't it be easier to be a nun?" :)

Congrats on finding the right shoes to go with the dress (which sounds beautiful, by the way!).

9:00 AM  
Blogger ljm said...

I'd love to see a picture of the dress!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

Once again, I thank the Good Lord that I am a man :-) and don't have to deal with such thing..

12:48 PM  
Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

OH Blah to you DJ!! We love the challenge it takes to be a girl!! Right, everyone?....I said, right everyone?

Glad you found the perfect shoe, Kristi! I can totally relate to the sewing issues you had! My mom usually comes to the rescue for me...she is a very talented seamstress...and me?, just a novice, but getting better all the time!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

So, are you going to post a picture?!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home