What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Green Hands

Many years ago, I was the family lawn mower, believe it or not. Meaning that I mowed the lawns, NOT that I was the lawn mower itself! Just thought I'd clarify. Somewhere into my teens it became an increasing burden as I grew busy and developed a distate for the whole unladylike business. Mowing the lawn wasn't so bad, but our spidery yard was. Our old house had a yard with many trees and bushes around the lawn -- a spider's haven. By July and August, their webs would be strung up everywhere and walking around was hazardous, especially if you hate spiders as much as I do (or Jill or Lori). I just didn't appreciate walking into a faceful of sticky web. So I'd go through this ritual before mowing, when I'd walk around the perimeters of the yard with a rake and clear away any traps. We had some pretty hefty spiders there who were spinners to be reckoned with. My family thought my pre-mowing antics were hilarious for some reason. So anyway, my parents hired various guys to mow the lawn, and then since we've been in this house, my dad has done the mowing.

Well, since my parents have been gone for the past week, and the lawn hasn't been mowed for a couple weeks, I took it upon myself to mow the lawn this morning. Actually, jungle might be a more apt term. I was proud of myself for remembering how to run a lawn mower, and actually kind of felt kind of fondly reminiscent. That feeling wore off pretty quickly. The grass was very long and wet and I changed the grass catcher about every minute. As I labored away, perspiring in the warm sun, I thought wistfully of the neighbor's riding mower. I think we should get one. It took me nearly two hours to mow the front and back lawns! It'll be fine with me if it's another ten years before I mow again. When I got done my hands were very green and my face was very red -- all ready for Christmas! But I must say in spite of my griping that it does look lovely now and I'm glad my dad won't have to tackle that just after getting back.

Oh! I was putting some gas in when I recalled an incident that happened when I was probably around 13. I had been mowing the lawn and needed to put some gas in. The can had been sitting in the side yard with the nozzle up, leaving me to wonder if the liquid in there was water or gas. Being the brilliant girl I was, I decided to find out by pouring some on the concrete and then throwing a match on it. It was gas. Heh heh, the adrenaline kicked in and I stomped all over that fire like I was possessed! Nope, I didn't try that again.

Later this morning, I went out to run some errands. I got in the van, turned it on, wiped some fuzz off my shirt, briefly checked my left mirror, and slowly backed up. THUD!! What in the world? There hadn't been a car in the driveway a minute ago, but there was now and I'd just hit it. A lady had just driven in to drop off something for my dad. She'd been looking down so she didn't see me coming. I was horrified, but fortunately there was no harm done to either vehicle. I felt a little shaky and dumb at the same time. Thank God for protecting us from ourselves. :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger CKS said...

You forgot to mention you made your male GUESTS mow the lawn when they came across the country to visit you. I remember the one Friday we were at your house in '95 the lawn-mowing somehow got pawned off on Chad and me.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Oh my word, I totally don't remember that! Don't tell me you've held a grudge about that these ten years! When/if you visit again, I promise you won't be forced to mow the lawn, if that's any comfort. ;-)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

You made your GUESTS mow? Wow, that is harsh :) Well, it least it gave them practice for bibleschool :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Actually, my mom seems to recall that your dad "volunteered" you guys for the job. Parents are so good at that sort of thing. :-)

1:25 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

You are a kind and thoughtful daughter to mow the lawn for Daddy so he doesn't have to come home to that job. That's a big deal to a man! Lindsay mowed most of our lawn right before we got back from NS (she came home a day before us). Can't tell you how much that meant to Evan. Keep that little trick in mind someday when you really want to bless your husband. :-)

I remember your spider-web-removing antics! You were very methodical and thorough. It was pretty hilarious.

9:12 PM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

I hate walking into spider webs! The other day I saw our cat flinch or something, and I suddenly wondered if animals do the same thing. They must! What a funny thought. I can see the squirrels jumping about and then stopping to get the nastiness off their faces.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home