What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Seek Ye First...

You know the verse: "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." This verse has been a compass for me so many times, and I've found myself meditating on it again recently. In one way, I've kind of interpreted it to mean that we need to seek God Himself first and foremost. Not religion, not principles, not a ministry, but the very person of Jesus Christ. But in another way, I see it to mean that the whole kingdom of God -- encompassing the Christian walk I guess -- should take precedence over the pursuit of those "other things" like earning a living and pursuing happiness however we can. But I'm again finding myself a little puzzled as to what *exactly* it means to seek the kingdom of God. What is the kingdom of God, and how do we seek it? Should we seek God's kingdom that we may gain those "other things" we deem essential to this life? I thought I'd throw out some of these questions to see if you guys/gals have some insights on this verse. I'd love to hear your comments.

In other local news, my poor mom is down with food poisoning acquired on the last day of her cruise! She hasn't vomited, but her stomach and intestines have been in a lot of pain. Please pray for her rapid and complete recovery. Thanks! Now I must go make dinner. Anybody want some lasagna and garlic bread and salad? Mmmm....:-) Don't worry -- my mom's having chicken soup!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that you bring this up. In Sunday School we've been studying Matthew 25. It talks specifically to what the Kingdom of Heaven is. It talks about how we get into it, and what is expected of us while in it. Sunday we were discussing Verses 32 through 46. Another one of those "By their fruits ye shall know them" passages.

Sorry I have no great insight... But it sure is an interesting subject. :~)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Don't everybody speak at once!

I realized after I wrote it, that my reference to Christian Hedonism was misapplied. So I'll just remove that part.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not just your BLOG that seems lonely, and unread. I think these last few days of summer, Labor Day approaching an all, have seen a great decrease in the BLOGosphere. Me thinks people are enjoying their last chance away from a desk for a while. (Wish I had the chance. :~)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

A thought just occurred to me. Jesus said that the kingdom of Heaven was made up of "such as these," meaning children, right? So if you're investing yourself in children's spiritual welfare, that's gotta count for something, doesn't it? :)

12:06 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Good insight, Lori. I never thought of that before, but it's certainly plausible. If that's true, then I guess I'm on the right track!

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely, Loreo!

Lately, I've assumed that "seeking first the Kingdom" means pursuing God's specific calling to me at the moment in a sacrificial way...because I have long-range (ie eternal) vision.

A story might help here. Last fall, I was back from Israel after 14 months away, and anxious to catch as much as I could of my first Fairwood fall convention in a long time. It was a Friday night, a favorite time, and my dad was having the meeting. Where was I? At work.

Feeling extremely disappointed, I turned to God and had a moment of truth. I told Him, "You must know something really good is in store for me, to ask me to give up something this good!"

That insight took on whole new proportions a few days later when God asked my friend to give up her best-beloved because it was time for him to go to heaven.

Jesus said, "This is the work of God, that you believe on Jesus." You'd better believe that she is displaying faith and shouting out the true character of Jesus, all without saying a word...just by going on with following Him.

That's what I see as seeking first the Kingdom: seeing the full weight of the very real cost to following Jesus...and then seeing the time we have left as a brief flicker. And having seen both, responding to the urgency and privelege of the task with a yes, and a boring follow-through in whatever spot He puts me.

Lisa

6:54 PM  
Blogger lis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Thanks, Lisa! Good thoughts.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home