What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Summer's Almost Over!!

I can't believe how quickly this summer has flown by! It's been one of the nicest summers I've had, I think. Just the perfect combination of restfulness and busyness. But now September is almost here and I'm realizing my days of comparative freedom are coming to an end! But actually, I find myself looking forward to fall. You see, in my book, fall starts on September 1. Yes, I know what the calendar says, but in my mind, each season is divided equally between every three months. Winter = Dec. - Feb., spring = Mar. - May, summer = June - Aug., and fall = Sept. - Nov. Regardless of the weather, I feel like I should start wearing sweaters and plaid in September. But we often get some pretty warm days. I love fall. It means a fresh start, beautiful foliage, pears, pumpkin pie, crisp air, cozy evenings in front of the fire, and the delightful anticipation of Thanksgiving and Christmas!

At my school, staff starts working Aug 29 and school starts Sept. 19. But I've already been working on selecting materials and planning my schedule. Next week it's back to work in earnest. I'm doing a Christmas musical with my first through sixth graders. I'm excited, but I'm also a little nervous 'cause I've never directed a drama of any sort. We'll all learn together, I'm sure!

Today I cancelled all lessons because I'm feeling like I'm getting a cold. Nothing horrible yet, but I've got a little sore throat and I just generally don't feel up to snuff. So I'm using the quiet time to work on school prep, study, probably practice, and write boring blogs. My mom is still pretty sick with food poisoning so I'm kind of taking care of her, too. I haven't seen her this sick in a long time. Nasty stuff. Watch out for that food on cruise ships!

I take it everybody must be out enjoying their last moments of freedom, because blogging has been mighty sparse this week! I expect a full recovery from you shirking bloggers! Hop to it!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi, I've always loved fall too, for the same reasons & for the smell of new schoolbooks! Good for you planning a Christmas production at school--I always admired the teachers who could pull off the musicals. We enjoy your blog and humor.
Your birthday twin,
Bev J

7:40 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Actually, I would suspect as people start new jobs or go back to school, or start "whatever", that the blogging will stay at about this level. You can always just blogsurf...

9:37 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Weeping for summer may last for a night, but joy for fall cometh in the morning (when you get just a little tired of your greedy lawn and the brassy, sweat-inducing sun, and think fond thoughts of cool days and pretty sweaters and hot cider) :)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

Loreo, if you want to be cured of al that :), you could move to NH. A winter or 2 here would definitely put things in a different light! Heh, heh, heh...

3:28 AM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Um, do you really start working three weeks before students arrive? That seems like a long time. What do you do with all that time and no students?

9:08 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Yes, Ryusoma, whenever I think of how much I love the Northeast and its beauty and dear people, I remind myself VERY sternly of the winters you poor souls endure. :)

1:24 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Redsox, what do we need students for? It's all about the teacher parties, dude!!

Ahem, yes. It's primarily the classroom teachers who spend the three weeks before school doing most of the planning, copying, and other prep for the whole school year. I only go in sometimes as most of my prep can be done at home.

9:01 AM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Prep for the whole school year in the three weeks before? That's either impressive or absolutely crazy! I mean, what are late nights the day before a given school day for?

3:34 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

That doesn't mean there's no planning or prep during the school year. Three teachers teach 2 grades a piece, so that involves extra prep, I think. And this is a very organized, structured school. I honestly don't know what other schools do, but apparently this pre-planning method has worked well in the past, probably sparing the teachers some extra stress during the year.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home