What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Weird Sister Moments (I Mean Weird Moments With Sisters!)

I'm wondering if any of you other sibling sets have experienced the almost eerie moments my sisters and I have known. Let me explain. Jill and I were very close during our teens and early twenties and shared many common interests. Of course we still are/do, but our lives are a little different and we live on opposite ends of the continent! Anyway. There were several instances when she and I would be in a room together doing our hair or fixing something in the kitchen or whatever. Then at the same moment, we would both burst out with the exact same tune in the exact same key! It was almost like there was an invisible wire connecting to our brains. It was very startling, to say the least. Or one would say that she was interested in reading a certain book or seeing a certain movie and the other would gasp in surprise that she had been thinking the very same thing. This sort of psychic connectedness is very useful for games, at least when we're on the same team. It's so fun to say just one word or even make a certain face and have the other instantly know exactly what you mean while other players haven't a clue what happened!

We were never ones to borrow each other's clothes or even get matching outfits, but many was the time that we'd emerge from our rooms wearing something very similar. Of course, at a certain stage in life this was so NOT cool and one of us would usually retire with a huff and change into something more distinct.

But do you think this sisterly oneness has deteriorated with age and distance? I might have said so until last weekend, when I learned that ALL THREE of us sisters had made peach pies, and all of us had had colds or sore throats. So does that mean germs and ideas are transmitted by mere relationship? Or maybe they come through e-mails and blogs and telephone calls! Ha! There is still something scientists don't know! "Whatever the dread disease was, let's just hope it wasn't particularly contagious." (My sisters will recognize this quote and will laugh because they'll know how to say it!)

In other exciting local news, I'm still sick and my cat is turning into a lion. Well, he thinks he is. He's decided to go for big game hunting. We've been finding a number of mice and shrew offerings on the back steps, which is perfectly normal, though I'm not sure if they're all from him or if the neighbor cat is partially responsible. Then a few days ago my dad found a dead rat in the side yard. Yikes! But the worst was yesterday morning when my mom discovered a very dead and partially eaten field rabbit in the rose garden! It was not a pretty sight. I couldn't believe that my cat had actually chased, killed, and eaten something over half his size. It could have been a coyote, but he'd have a hard time getting in our yard. So now I'm just wondering what's going to be next! Another cat? One of the neighbor's tiny dogs? Who would ever guess looking at his innocent, cute, furry face that Cheeky is really a nighttime killer, a veritable Jekyll & Hyde?

5 Comments:

Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Weird indeed! Sounds like your theory about sibling relationships is a little like romanticism, an interesting belief about psychic connectedness that I learned about in a philosophy class once (e.g., "the moment they set eyes on each other they both knew it was love at first sight.") Maybe you are a convert to this idea?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Well, I hadn't given it much deep, philosophical thought. I think genes and similar environment play large roles in sibling connectedness. I think that love at first sight does happen, but whether it's from true psychic connectedness or from simple physical attraction, I couldn't say! Hmm...what about couples or friends that finish each other's sentences? My best friend and I are really close, though we don't see each other very often, and it's amazing how our brain waves sometimes seem connected.
Interesting question, Chad. What do you think?

9:42 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Your cat Cheeky pretends to be shy, but obviously he's a mighty hunter who enjoys catching shrews and moles so he can make rodent pie--and, oh my word, his sisters are also making the same pie! And one of his brothers came out of his room wearing the same fur coat!! Go change!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Hmm...someone's in a goofy mood!:-)

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Yes, indeed, I remember many of our weird sister moments! Reading your blog made me miss you extra much. I knew you had made a peach pie last weekend, too, but not Lori. That is indeed almost freaky. 'Course you know what they say about great minds!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home