What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, November 25, 2005

It's Friday Night!

I'm so happy about staying home for three days in a row! That means I don't have to drive anywhere in the nasty weather. And that means I can bum around in a non-work clothes, put my hair in a puny pony-tail, and get lots of other things done!

Yesterday was a fun day. Zach and Jessie had spent the night. We all gathered together after breakfast and read the book about Thanksgiving by Barbara Rainey. I think we all learned hitherto unknown or fuzzy facts about the pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving. Kids sure aren't likely to learn the whole story at public schools. Then we wrote out our thankful lists and prayed. My dad had 50 items on his list (which he'd worked on for awhile), but I kept mine to 15 because I wrote it in about 5 minutes. Here's my little list:
1. Salvation and an ever growing relationship with Christ
2. Family
3. Food
4. My 5 senses intact and working!
5. A lovely, warm home
6. A job and enough money
7. My kitty
8. Friends
9. A free country
10. Our church family
11. God's abundant grace for every need
12. Trips this year to Hawaii and New Hampshire
13. Good health
14. A Godly president
15. A very reliable van that hasn't given me any problems!

After that my mom bustled around with dinner preparations and I set the table. Table setting for holidays has been my job for as long as I can remember. I'm a little persnickety about proper layout and decor. My dad and Zach went out to put up the Christmas lights, so I went out to help them, since that's also my usual job. The roof is quite a bit higher and has several gable peaks that our old house didn't have, so there's a lot more roof climbing required. I did it last year with my dad and did crawl around the roof with some trepidation, but I was okay with relinquishing the job to Zach who just loves to clambor around the roof. He practically runs around it. I stayed on ground and handed the lights to them at the right time as I shivered from the bitter cold. It was a good thing we got up the lights when we did because it started to rain a few hours later and it's rained ever since.

The rest of the fam came over around 2:00 and dinner was served at 3:00. It was all delicious as usual. The older I get the better I get at controlling the amount of food I take at a feast. When I finished I was just pleasantly full. But after several pieces of pie I was definitely groaning a bit! I was a little depressed to notice this morning that my Thanksgiving tummy makes me look about 3 months pregnant, but hopefully it will go away with my strict holiday diet. (Seriously, I have to cut the sugar so I don't get sick before any of the 8 events I have in December. Doesn't hurt the figure any, but man, it's tough!)

I heard on Wednesday that the whole turkey tryptophane sleepy theory is a myth, but I can tell you I sure wasn't feeling very energetic after dinner!

We spent the rest of the day chatting pleasantly, trying to keep the kids subdued, doing a Wysocki puzzle, and playing the Abram version of Trivial Pursuit. I thought I'd sleep forever this morning, but I actually woke up around 6:30 and got up around 7:00. I guess it was good because I had a lot to do: cleaning, decorating, e-mailing, and practicing. Tomorrow there's nothing on the agenda! Yippee!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

(I, too, ate a meal that was just satisfactory, and we waited a few hours for the pie! So I don't look any more pregnant then usual...)

LOL

1:09 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

Lol at Jeremy :)

aren't Sabbath's the greatest? I just love them...

6:49 AM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Pardon my ignorance, but is there something wrong with wearing ponytails at work? Or is that too unprofessional looking? Either way, I'm sure your students wouldn't mind...

10:46 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

What a happy day! Between your blog and Lori's I got a good picture of what your Thanksgiving was like. Aren't long weekends lovely? Not that I've really experienced one in a number of years, but I get to enjoy them vicariously through Evan, having him home. Hope you're getting nicely rested--and enjoying your illegal ponytail!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Ha ha, there's nothing "illegal" about my wearing a ponytail, but if you'll check out my pilgrim picture, you'll notice my hair isn't very long. So it ends being a little ponytail with lots of stray strands sticking out here and there. Not very attractive. And I don't look good with hair pulled away from my face.

1:38 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

I see. Gotta make a good impression on those elementary kids, eh?

5:18 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I'd be more worried about alarming the other teachers. :-)

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya ##NAME##, just thought I'd say great post titled ##TITLE##. I'm looking for ##LINK## and I ended up here accidentally but I will make sure I return soon. Looking for in addition will keep me busy for a few hours.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home