What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Wired

Yes, I am now wired and I'm surviving! Yesterday actually went way better than I expected, which I suspect has something to do with people praying. Thank you very much. It took a couple hours to put on the braces, but there wasn't really any pain involved beyond the occasional pinching of a gum or cheek. The rest of the day was spent trying to get used to the feeling of these huge metal things on my teeth.

My mom said almost immediately that they make me look cute! Hmm, that wasn't my thought, but bless her heart. Just add some acne and glasses and I'll pass for 15. :-)

I was on Motrin all day yesterday, which probably contributed to the general pleasant feelings. This morning I definitely felt more sore and tender. I have to stick to totally soft or liquid foods; the slightest pressure hurts. But the orthodontist assured me that I should feel normal within a week.

Besides getting used to the way longer teeth cleaning routine, I'm relearning how to smile! Honestly, it's just not the same. Also, singing during music classes this morning was interesting. Of course, having a dozen or so kids facing me and watching my mouth while we're singing doesn't really help my current self-consciousness any!

Ah, well, I'm just glad they're finally on and the two-year countdown has started! I'm comforted to know that many before me (including my mom and two sisters) have endured and survived the process.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Ok, so when do we see the picture of your smile!
Glad to hear that it went as well as it did.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Linds said...

Hurray for you! The time will fly by, I promise!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I want to see a picture too! I'm so happy you finally get to have braces. I'm sorry the need that Lori and I had for braces when we were growing up was more urgent (because of her buck teeth and my TMJ) so that you had to wait till you were in your 20s to get yours. :-(

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still jealous.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Juliana said...

I hope that your mouth does adjust quickly. Because so much "movement" was needed when I had my braces (also in my 20s), my teeth were always sore. I only ate softish, lukewarm food for over a year!

There are advantages to having braces when you are older. You are more likely to properly care for your teeth (it is a long and trickly process). I found I was also very motivated to wear my bands and head-gear regularly. I wanted to get those braces off early if possible!!!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Sorry, I'm not feeling very photogenic right now, so you'll have to wait awhile. :-)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Ol' 'Lanche sez: "Come on---pretty please with pureed lukewarm strawberries on top---pretty, pretty please could we have at least one lil' peek at ya' with yer braces???" 8~)

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, practice that smile. Because a Kristi without a smile, would be no Kristi at all; It'd be some strange alien-possessed, body-snatched-scary-zombie... or something.

I'm grateful the installation went well for you!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

Yay! the time will pass in a flash :-)
and glad it wasn't a torture to have them put in...

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home