What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Shalom

So I wasn't going to post anything while I was in Jerusalem, but I'm having a quiet morning perusing blogs, and felt I ought to say something. This morning I'm feeling the most jetlaggish I have felt since I've been here. I've actually felt remarkably good and done a lot the past few days, so it's okay to have some sleepy moments, I guess.

Yesterday the weather was very Seattleish -- rainy and cold, which was totally not cool for sitting in an outdoor service at the garden tomb. Fortunately I brought a sweater and umbrella, but I sat there shivering and yawning and wishing I felt more euphorically spiritual. However, it was a good service and it was a memorable experience. Afterwards we walked all over the Old City and observed the various holiday festivities. There was so much going on and so many different cultures and religions represented! Very interesting. We had lunch at a quaint and atmospheric Armenian restaurant.

I am now camel-worthy. An Arab guy selling post cards declared himself very charming and offered 20 camels for me. Hmm...probably just a ruse to get me to look at his wares, but it was pretty amusing. Oh, and I unintentionally mastered the art of haggling. My sunglasses broke on Friday, so I had to get some more. I found some decent ones yesterday, which the eager salesman said were expensive -- $30. I said I wouldn't pay more than $20 for them. (I get cheap sunglasses on grocery stores and Ross.) He came down to $25. I said I wanted to look around some more and might come back (which was true). He came down to $22. "No, no," I said, preparing to leave with Lisa and Rachel. In desparation he handed them to me and said, "Okay, $15." Now you're talking. I wasn't that crazy about the glasses, but neither did I want to keep looking around, so I bought them, feeling just a little smug about my "bargain."

It's been neat to see where Lisa and Rachel live and meet the people they live with. From my little room I can see Bethlehem, and several times a day I hear the muezzins (sp?) wailing from there. I've also heard church bells,which are much more welcome at 5:00 in the morning.

Today is kind of cold and overcast, but better than yesterday. The rest of the week is forecasted to be clear and in the 80s -- yea!! Friday was very warm, and I got a little sunburn on my nose as Lisa and I walked around the Old City.

People think we're Jewish, which is surprising, because I don't think I look Jewish. Lisa and Rachel look more the part with their long dark hair and classic noses. But a woman who visited here over the weekend said I looked Jewish, so there you have it. Throw in a few Hebrew words, wear a long skirt, and you can fool a lot of people! We walked into the Christ's Church visitor center/cafeteria yesterday. Two ultra orthodox Jewish boys caught Lisa's attention, so she stepped out. Looking very distressed, they told her that it's forbidden for us to go in there! She kindly explained to them that we're Christian and from the U.S. They didn't look totally convinced, though, and continued to stare at us through the window for a little while.

I've taken a ton of pictures already. It's so fun to use my digital camera. I'll probably post a few pictures when I get home, along with a more thorough report. Today, I think Lisa and I are going to visit the Yad Vashem museum (Holocaust) and the Israel Museum, neither of which I saw when I was here before.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Great to get some info on what you are doing! Enjoy your week!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Ol' 'Lanche and I are a-wishin' we could be there too... ...sounds like you are having an awesomely good time! How great to be hanging out with Lisa and Rachel!

---Only 20 camels?!! You're worth a LOT more than that---Ol' 'Lanche sez he'd like to give thet bloke a kick he'd not soon ferget!!! 8~)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

I find it highly amusing, and yet at the same time very heartwarming, that those 2 little boys were so worried about you guys :-)

So you look jewish eh? Well, just don't come back converted, lol...

1:25 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Great report! I was happy to see it (and read it). Oh, and I have the FUNNIEST story about haggling for sunglasses in the Old City. Remind me and I'll tell you sometime... I left the shop laughing so hard.

7:46 PM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

Yay that you're in ISRAEL! I trust it continues to go well, and exceeds your expectations. I can't wait to see pictures!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

Great reporting! Keep it up!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Brenda Jo said...

Only 20 camels! What an insult! Did you haggle for more?

7:22 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Aaw, thanks, Brenda! Maybe I should have asked for more!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home