What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, April 07, 2006

Randomness

I should be doing something useful, but I just ate lunch and feel lazy. What a week this has been. I had symphony rehearsals Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights. Getting ready for a concert tomorrow night. They called me last Thursday about playing second harp in this piece by Ralph Vaughan Williams called Symphony of the Sea. I said sure. Then I got this 40 page book of music. Gulp. Hard music. So I've been spending extra time practicing for that and the other stuff I'm working on. My school's spring program is tonight, so we've had a couple rehearsals for that this week. I'm so ready for a vacation from teaching. I love the little darlings, but my patience seems to be getting stretched more than usual lately.

I'm sure Craig will be green with envy to learn that we have a Krispy Kreme 10 minutes from our house. I've only been there a few times, though. My conscience smites me every time I think about going. BUT, I've stopped there a couple times to pick up a dozen fresh doughnuts on Thursday mornings, then passing them out to students throughout the day. Amazing the gratifying response I behold when people see that red and white box! I confess I had three doughnuts yesterday. Marvelous. :-)

I'm trying to pick up a little Hebrew before I go to Israel. What an impossible language!! My respect for you Hebrew speakers has jumped several stories. Okay, it's not impossible, but it's a whole different ball game than French, which I consider fairly easy. I guess it's because we have the same alphabet and many similar roots. But Hebrew is not only read right to left, but uses weird symbols and totally foreign sounds to my American ear. So I figure if I at least know thank you, please, hello, good-bye, and a few other simple words, I'll be okay. But beyond that, I'm not feeling much motivation to twist my brain into learning the language more completely. Maybe Lisa can inspire me when I'm there!

6 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

Thanks for the challenge, and I'll be glad to oblige!

Now...if only I can figure out why I love Hebrew myself. Somebody recently pointed out that it's not a pretty language, and after a little reflection, I was surprised to realize they were right! ;O) Guess it's one of those "face only a mother could love" sorts of things. Or something.

But hey, you can pack SO MUCH meaning into so small a package!

*gets off soapbox and smiles

2:09 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Yes, I'm jealous! Eat some Krispy Kreme for me! I'm also jealous you're going to Israel--oh to immerse myself in Hebrew now after three years studying it in college! I think I would enjoy Israel a little bit more (if that's possible).

And if anyone can inspire you to love and learn Hebrew, it's Lisa! But lis, I don't agree...I still think Hebrew is a beautiful language...maybe not pretty, but definitely beautiful. The whole Shoreshim aspect to the language is amazing! I love discussing Shoreshim in class and discussing how many words come from a single shoresh...lots of insight!

And lastly, Kristi, we performed Vaughn Williams Sea Symphony my first year of college. I looooooved it!!!!!! The last movement has oodles of spiritual allusion in it, of the goose-bump, tears variety. And I love the sea. You're lucky...but yes, it is difficult. So are the choir parts! Have fun learning it in a week! (We had months...)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

when I first read this, I thot you had written "sympathy" rehearsals and was wondering what in the world you'd gotten yourself into :-)

have fun with more languages. I have a hard enough time with just english, lol...

5:32 AM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

I'm sure you won't be forgettin' to enjoy all the stuff yer doin' but jest in case---here's a "don't ferget to ENJOY IT!!!"---Ol' 'Lanche thinks yer oughta stick it in a pocket somewheres jest for reminders...

7:42 AM  
Blogger lis said...

Just to clarify, Hebrew IS beautiful to me! I just understood how other people could think it's not. ;O)

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Well, now that you mention it, I guess I can see a certain melodic beauty in Hebrew. It's kind of gutteral, but not the harsh gutteral of German.

Thank you, Uncle D., for the reminder to enjoy everything right now! Despite the difficulties, for the most part I really do enjoy what I'm doing. I love the variety and the sense of purpose.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home