What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Key to Insanity

I think I've discovered a key ingredient in the widespread brain damage of these days. Nope, it's not cell phones. It's the idiotic music in stores!! My mom and I went to the mall today to check out the sales. Every store had the most obnoxious and loud music imaginable. It was repetitive, monotonous, lousy, repetitive, unimaginative, etc.! The hoarse singers would sing the same phrase over and over and over with little variation and the exact same rhythm pattern in the background (or foreground). After a few minutes, I couldn't wait to leave most of the stores. What happens to people who work there, I wonder? Their minds must just go numb after a little while. Or their hearing is impaired. Or they go insane. Or they're hypnotized to do whatever the song suggests.

Some might argue about "taste," and yes, of course, I'm partial to the more classical flavor because that's what I'm used to. Usually, I can tolerate soft rock or jazz or oldies if necessary. But this stuff is so brainless and obnoxious! Why does anybody like it? Why is it played in stores when everything should be done to aid the shopper's thinking abilities?? At least Nordstrom's has the right idea with their live piano music.

Okay, end of rant. I feel better now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

See, the only problem is that you assume that the stores want to HELP the shoppers :-)

by playing such nauseating music, they destroy any willpower the shopper might have, and hence the shopper goes on an unobstructed buying binge, adding knick-knackery and other such crap to their already overloaded credit card :-)

Tada! American Economics, 101...

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I try to thank stores when, in a rare case, they are playing some nice, soft classical music for their thoughtfulness and good taste. Don't know if it helps or not, but at least it's a step!

9:47 PM  
Blogger lis said...

Good idea, adoring. Some of that music makes me feel physically sick - just slightly, but enough to be energy-sapping.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home