What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Strange Adventures

I'm trying not to feel too insulted that only one person has commented on my last two posts. I'll persevere anyway, hoping more than one person reads this mediocre blog.

The adventures started Thursday night with a huge windstorm that whipped through Western Washington, wiping out power for over a million. I think it was one of our worse storms yet. We lost power in the middle of the night -- a first in the three years we've lived in this house. I woke up thinking of my Christmas party Friday evening, optimistically hoping the power would be on by then. My mom wasn't so optimistic at first, but I insisted we proceed with plans. We did all the things we could without power. Afternoon came and there was still nothing. My dad hooked up the generator to some of the kitchen outlets plus the heater. Fortunately, our hot water is gas powered, so we could still have hot showers. We had planned an hors d'oeuvre dinner, but without the oven, we couldn't do all that we'd planned. Creativity really began kicking in! We cooked several hot things by microwave and kept them warm for dinner with chafing dishes. As darkness fell, I set up candles all over the house. I didn't know we had so many! My dad counted 84 that we'd set out!

The time for the party came and no one was here! Everyone was late, actually, because many stoplights were out, causing huge backups for miles. Half the people expected didn't show up. But the other 15 dribbled in and the party began! It was such a different atmosphere with only candles. It was calming and a little romantic (according to some). We kept warm with the gas fireplace and the million candles. The food turned out great and we were soon laughing merrily with games like the Yankee gift exchange, psychiatrist, and 4-on-a-couch. All but one left about 11:30. Ten minutes later the power came on. Go figure. ;-)

I woke up Saturday morning after a short night's sleep with a sore throat, which didn't improve throughout the day. I had to go out in the afternoon to play harp for two youth choir concerts, spending a total of 8 hours at the concert hall. Fortunately all went well, even though I didn't feel good. Sunday was really busy -- church in the morning, where I played the piano, directed choir practice, and practiced with a few musicians for the evening program. I camped out at my pastor's house for the afternoon, doing some more practicing, and then went back to the evening Christmas program. It was only the Lord's grace that took me through, as I sure wasn't up to all the activity. The Lord blessed the program presented by families, groups, and individuals.

Excuse my uncreative writing style today. Yesterday and today I've been feeling exceedingly crummy with sore throat, weakness, etc. I did manage to go to the Irish Tenors concert in Seattle with my mom, courtesy of Lori. They were fabulous. We were surprised at how much sacred music they sang.

In other news, Jill is in labor! We eagerly await news of the baby's arrival.

7 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Wow! It seems that the east and west coasts have switched roles for this year. While we keep hearing of snow, wind, and power losses in Washington and California (and, I suppose, Oregon as well), we have been cursed or blessed with fifty degree weather and occasional showers. It doesn't look like there's much hope for a white Christmas out here.

The power went out at our house on Thanksgiving once - and the turkey was half-done in the oven. Fortunately, the outage didn't last long.

Candlelight really is the best thing thing about losing power. It is so relaxing.

And yes, this long comment was brought on by the first paragraph of your post. I never seen to know what to say when I comment, but I do read your blog, I do enjoy it, and I know exactly how you feel about the comments thing.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

I'm in complete sympathy about the cold/weak thing. I'm battling it, hoping to stay well enough to get home for Christmas. Having to work really cramps the healing process, doesn't it?

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you again for all the work and effort to put on such a joyous event!

And yes, the candle-lighted party was very romantic. :-D

(I'll pray that your throat heals in record time!)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

I do faithfully read your posts- every one of them, but usually can't think of anything bright and creative to say. Sounds like you had a great party even without the lights.

And, congratulations Auntie!!!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know how you feel too, Kristi. You're definitely not alone. Don't worry, even if people don't comment, they always read your blog. :)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

Here's another faithful reader of your blog! You are on my list and I love to read about life in Washington.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Aw, thanks for the words of aff. everyone!

Aaron, we even heard this was supposed to be a mild winter! Probably God's judgment on our wicked region.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home