What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

What was the Revolution?

I had a disturbing conversation with a teenage student today. She had mentioned having roots in the confederacy, and I said I was a Daughter of the Revolution, meaning my ancestors fought in it, I suppose. Then she said something like, "Now what was the Revolution...? That's not the war between the states, right? When was it?" O help me, Lord. She was pretty sure George Washington was in the picture, and when I explained it happened in the 1700s and was a fight for independence from Britain, there was some recognition. But this girl is a senior in high school! Not an honor roll kid by any means, but shouldn't this sort of thing be general knowledge with any kid by 18?? My 6 year-old nephew knows what the Revolutionary War was! I thought Chad would appreciate this story; at least he's doing his part to enlighten this generation!

Did anybody happen to hear Josh McDowell's message on Focus on the Family today? It was phenomenal. He quoted all sorts of staggering statistics which I can't remember, but I do remember that he said a huge percentage of teenagers (including Christians) don't believe in absolute truth, and the percentage is quickly rising. He presented this question: "What engenders belief of truth in children?" And then he proceeded to boil it all down to relationships. A child or teenager in a loving, nurturing home is highly likely to receive and believe the truths his parents teach him. That would also go for a student/teacher relationship, too. Here's a good quote I remember: "Rules without relationship bring rebellion." He brought out the highly important role fathers play in a child's stability and happiness. Good fathers are so desparately needed! He told the story of how when Michael Jackson was a 5 year-old, his father wouldn't let him refer to him as daddy. He was his manager. Recently, when Michael was addressing some college group, he broke down and wept, saying his father never told him he loved him. He ached with the desire for that fatherly affection. Is it any wonder he's so messed up now? I've heard that poor father/son relationships are a key factor in young men turning to homosexuality.

This was my summary of the message: Relationships engender belief, and belief determines behavior. Parents, one of the most important things you can do to impact your child's beliefs and conduct is to love them and be there for them. I reflected on my own experience -- why did I accept my parent's beliefs and respond to truth? Because I knew they loved me, I felt secure, and I trusted them. So anyway, I thought the message was really good, and I wanted to write down what I remembered.

6 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Oh my word! (About the first story.) Jed not only knows what the Revolution was, but he even knows that the king of England was George III! (He announced it in church :)

If it's any consolation, I am a senior in high school and I'm pretty sure I remember what the Revolution was ...

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer "War of Independence" myself.

:-J

1:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's amazing! The Revolutionary War is hammered into my brain; how could I NOT know about it? I just can't picture the senior saying that...oh my word! (Sorry Aaron, I don't have any other exclamations on hand just now. :)

3:57 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Ahhh, the downward slide into apathy and hedonism that all great empires seem to follow :-(

1:10 PM  
Blogger Loreo said...

That's good stuff, thank you for sharing. (The Focus on the Family stuff).

1:25 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I heartily agree about the connection between rules, relationships, and rebellion. We want people in our lives and our children's lives who they can look at and say, "That's who I want to be when I grow up." And we want to be those people to them.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home