What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Evidence of Crime?

This evening, at about 9:30, before sitting down with pumpkin pie and a Hercule Poirot movie, I called out the back door for Cheeky. He went out a little after 8:00, after I sternly told him to not stay out late. But as he so often does, given his free-spirited nature, he ignored my repeated calling. I won't let him stay out all night, though he'd love to, because we have certain creatures around that I don't trust. So I was calling him and stepped out onto the back deck. It was already dark out and I turned on the outside light.

Then I looked down at the deck and gasped slightly. For there were drops of very flesh blood sprinkled across the boards! Thoughts of wounded criminals or dangerous animals darted into my mind. My mom came out and instantly voiced the worst suggestion: that something had gotten Cheeky. Well, I couldn't imagine something swooping down and grabbing him on the back deck, so I started searching for any clues. Still feeling a little nervous (and glad I hadn't watched the mystery movie yet), I grabbed a flashlight and began walking around the house, calling for Cheeky. Nothing. There was no blood on the dirt, only on the deck. The back of the house, next to the bedroom windows, is very dark and I didn't feel like searching there. But I came back to the deck and had decided to search the dark regions when I saw it on the ground next to the deck -- the source of the fresh blood. Cheeky came up a few minutes later, I hosed off the deck, and went inside. The end.

So what was it? 100 points to the person who answers correctly!

9 Comments:

Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

I think your Cheeky is a good hunter, but a messy eater....Therefore, being a cat lover myself, I deduce that it was Cheeky's prey which he may have "done in" on your deck, thus leaving the drops of blood for you to find.
(I bet the pumpkin pie wasn't all that appetizing after that!!)

5:06 AM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

He probably was very proud about bringing his catch up for you to find. I am guessing a bird...or a mouse...or a chipmunk...or....the choices are endless! If I had to pin it down, it would be a little bird. Sparrow type.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

Yes, but aren't birds roosting for the night? I think it must have been a rodent. Preferably an ugly old one...!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

I'm really hoping to claim those 100 points...to add to my other,um, winnings....ha ha ;)

10:13 AM  
Blogger CKS said...

Your dad, maybe?

(I noticed he wasn't mentioned anywhere else in this story.)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

LOL! I wasn't expecting that answer! No, it wasn't him.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I was waiting for a few more answers, but I'll go ahead and give the 100 points to Mrs. RF for the most accurate answer! It was a bird, about the size of a robin, quite dead, and already being preyed upon by ants. Lovely, huh?

4:17 PM  
Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Wow. 100 whole points, just for me! I am honored.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

Oh well....next time for sure!

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home