What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Soon...

...my vacation will be over and I might have more interesting blog content! School starts on Monday. We start later than everyone else, it seems, but it's kind of nice. But now I'm READY TO ROLL!! Last night I went to a back-to-school meeting with all the parents. It's neat to see their excitement and vision for their children's education. I can certainly understand, as I think this is an incredible school, even if it's still small. If I didn't plan to homeschool (hubby willing), I'd want to send my kids to a classical-Christian school. Anyway, the meeting went well. I had to get up and give a short little speech about the value of music education. I realized as I was speaking that I kept taking short breaths but never let out any breath. Have you ever done that? My lungs just kept expanding and expanding and I felt like I was drowning or something. I didn't feel that nervous, but I guess I was still affected somehow. When I was done I had to very consciously let out all the air. Now I know what a balloon feels like.

So life will definitely be busier come next week. I have about 17 students in harp, voice, piano, and even clarinet. School is three days a week. Spare time will be consumed with college studies, my own practicing (which isn't very much these days), coordinating music at church, various social occasions, and occasional performances. One thing I don't like about teaching at a school (i.e., being employed by someone besides myself) is not having the freedom to take time off when I'd like. There's a retreat in Michigan the end of this month that I really wanted to go to, but I'd have to take off two days of school and my boss sort of frowned on that. So except for three weeks at Christmas and one week in the spring, plus occasional three-day weekends, I'm kind of trapped. But I've gotta trust that I'm right where God wants me right now. Even though I have almost no social life. Sigh.

5 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

I would say "welcome to the working world" but you've been here nearly as long as I have. So that would be pointless :)

i can't believe you are starting so late. Do you have no vacations to make up for it or just get out late?

5:49 AM  
Blogger CKS said...

social life is way over-rated. :-)

actually it isn't, but i was trying to make you feel better. I have no social life from Monday to Friday every week. Does that make you feel better? (And I mean like NO social life on those days...just me and stacks of books and my computer and my keyboard)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

That sounds like a really neat school, Kristi, and small is great! Why do they start so late? Sounds like you will have a super busy schedule! I don't envy you, but then I don't really envy my own schedule. =)

9:33 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

Oh, and blogging is a virtual social life, right, and you can do it Monday through Friday, too!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I'm not really sure why we start late. We get early, too -- usually the first week of June. The requirement is 1000 hours or a certain number of days, and I think we go by hours. It all works out great.

Yes, yay for blogging! Thanks for the comforting sentiments, Craig, but I don't really have a social life on weekends either! Hopefully this is just a temporary chapter in my life. :-)

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home