What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Christmas Rant

So I'm listening to or playing or singing a lot of Christmas music right now. After awhile I start to really notice the words and ask myself a few questions. Like, how many people have actually ridden in a one-horse open sleigh? Who roasts chestnuts by an open fire? Who puts presents ON the tree? Were there only three wise men? Were the angels really singing or only speaking as the Bible says? Do we really hear silver bells on every street corner? Certainly not at Target any more. Losers. Hmm...just some random thoughts. I'm sure I'll have some more.

I've been noticing a whole new attitude toward Christmas this year. Maybe it's been there and I've just started noticing it. Like the whole thing about Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas. Or people getting offended at a Christmas tree on school grounds. Or nativity scenes being taboo. Even Santa Claus is frowned on in some places. Christian conservatives got all riled at Pres. Bush because his Christmas card said "Happy Holidays." Laura very logically explained that they send cards to people of many faiths. Good grief, let the guy be president for once. However, nobody's going to stop me from saying Merry Christmas! My school kids sang at a mall on Tuesday evening. We couldn't sing at a Seattle mall because we had Christian songs on the program. Christmas CAROLS, people!! What is the big deal? Who would have thought fifty years ago that Christmas would ever be so attacked? I say the Scrooges and White Witches in our society are way too vocal and powerful these days! So Bah Humbug to them!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a "Merry Christmas" to you!

1:20 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Thank you! And a Happy New Year to you!

12:19 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Happy Birthday to Jesus, the Savior of the World...could you get any more un-PC?

8:08 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

I too have noticed more controversy than ever before this year...Hmmm. I never thought of Christmas as being offensive...!!! Good grief! Whodathunkit?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

3:27 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

This whole happy "holidays" trend is partly why I'm so thankful to be doing A Christmas Carol, in which we sing many Christ-centered songs. And then the whole cast greets audience members with "Merry Christmas" over and over again as they leave. Kind of a way to do battle in the face of the spirit of the age.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home