What Kristi's Harping On Now

The occasional ramblings, meditations, and thrilling adventures of Kristi A.

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I am a follower of Christ, wife, musician, daughter, sister, aunt, student, and friend.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Looking Like Christmas

We did get snow on Thursday--probably about 3 or 4 inches. I cancelled all my lessons and just managed to get to the chiropractor and store before it got too snowy. It was cozy staying inside all day and watching the snow turn our neighborhood into a winter wonderland. It was also good I stayed home because I was coming down with a cold! Aaargh! I took all sorts of potions and I rested and I took a hot bath. Probably kept it from becoming a severe cold, but I still got it, nonetheless. I was pretty concerned about the wedding I was supposed to sing at on Saturday. It wasn't a difficult, high range song, so I decided to go for it anyway. My mom and I made the two hour trek to the wedding. The church was decorated beautifully with Christmas decorations of burgundy and green. I played harp for prelude and a couple processionals. My special song was for the unity candle, so I sat there praying fervently that my voice would come out without a squeek or croak. Praise the Lord, He did enable to sing better than I might have hoped! Those who had heard me before knew something wasn't quite right, but for anyone else, they probably that I had a nice, slightly contempoary, breathy sort of voice! Put the right expression in, and vocal quality isn't as huge an issue. Well, at least for some songs.

BUT, please pray for me, because I have three concerts full of singing next weekend! And these aren't easy songs! I have a number of high A's.

Friday was my mom's birthday. Sometimes her birthday gets lost in the Christmas shuffle, but we managed to do something special in the evening -- we went to a dinner theater to see "It's a Wonderful Life"! It was a fun time, even though I wasn't feeling tops. The theater is kind of a small, family-run, cozy place. We had a dinner of cornish game hen with fixings, then saw a little pre-show of various performers doing Christmas music. One lady, who was supposedly a vocal coach with degree and all, sang a wobbly, weak version of "O Holy Night," which didn't impress anybody. But then one of the waiters got up and sang "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and he did a great job! We were impressed that before the play started, they turned out the lights and, to the background of Gregorian chant, read the Christmas story. Then came the actual play, which was very well done. They'd based it on the movie. Of course they couldn't do all the scenes that are on the movie, but they still managed to give the gist of the story with few props and scenery. The acting was very good for a small theater, making me wish again that I had the time and opportunity to do some acting. I actually wanted to be an actress when I was little (yes, I'm a third-born!), but I think those dramatic tendencies got channelled into music and teaching. The theater is doing "The Sound of Music" next summer, but they've already chosen Maria. Rats. I guess I could try out for a nun. Wouldn't have to worry about the kissing scene!

Yesterday after church my dad and I went to chop down a Christmas tree. We live in a fertile valley dotted with Christmas tree farms, and this was apparently the weekend that everybody was getting their trees! There was still snow on the ground, adding to the fun and spirit of hunting for the "perfect" tree. I'm very particular about height and size and shape. We did eventually find a large, lovely tree, which my dad proceeded to cut down while I held on and yelled "Timber!!" at the right time. When we got home my mom had hot chile and cornbread waiting for us while Christmas music played in the background. It was all very cozy indeed. I guess I'm a terribly sentimental traditionalist. I cherish traditions like these--getting the tree with my dad and then decorating it with my mom. These are memories I like to store in my little "memory card" to happily review in years to come. So anyway, the tree is up and beautifully decorated and the house looks very festive. Now I just need to finish my Christmas shopping!

And I should get off here and do something productive (like practicing!) before I have to head to school for a dress rehearsal. 'Tis the last week of school before Christmas break and I'm so ready for a break!! I think the stress of school probably contributed to my cold.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

This post was started on Sunday, but finished on Monday, but I don't know how to change the date at the top.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Loreo said...

That was a very nice post, Kristi. You painted a very appealing, clear picture of Christmasy happenings! :)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Maybe the lady who sang "O Holy Night" was having a bad singing day. Argh. It's painful to listen to someone sing a song poorly, especially when they're supposed to know better--and when you're a professional singer yourself!

I enjoyed reading about you and Daddy getting the tree. Next year I should get Mama to come out here and be waiting for us with chili and cornbread when we get home with our tree! I need to write a post about our exciting experience getting a tree the other day in sub-freezing temperatures.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

chili and cornbread! now that sounds like a good warmup combination. maybe I can con Wesley into making some for me this week, lol...

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home